• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What kind of action do you prefer?

David Deatherage

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
I had my buddy help me set up my Syn Gates Custom S and he loves the action low which causes some fret buzz on just the low string when I strum hard however with distortion it doesn’t cause a problem. These past few weeks I’ve been playing lightly when I’m on a clean setting to avoid buzz, which in turn makes me crank the amp a little bit higher than I’m use to which then lets my hammer ons and pull offs sound legit. So now I’m kinda digging it. Just wondering is that how the majority of players do it?

carlosmqr

Campfire Attention Holder
Legend
  • Nov 17, 2019
    Portugal/Manchester UK
    www.instagram.com
    In my Syn Custom S I have really low action way easier to play for me, but like you I have the same problem with the low string which doesnt bother me much. On my Les Paul is not as low as I would like but when I tried to lower it more I had a lot of buzz so had to raise it a bit again. But definitely lower action for me!

Reactions: David Deatherage

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    I keep the action low enough but not too low to where i fret out when i bend or cause buzz. I do that on all my guitars except my les paul which used to be my slide guitar until i stopped playing it. Lower action for me makes legato a lot easier and when i shred, legato is my favorite technique(thanks Randy Rhoads!)

Reactions: Ed Seith

Firsty Lasty

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I don't like super-low action because it makes proper string muting a more delicate task without making anything much easier for me. I don't care for too-high strings either, although there are some amazing guitarists who like it. A normal setup works for me.

Synner Endless Summer Collection