• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What kind of scales syn uses?

juiceellish

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    If I want to write something in a scale or improvise, do I need to memorize all of its positions on the fretboard or is there any other method? How do the pros do it?
    Memorizing patterns in your hands (muscle memory) is the majority of the “tool(s)” needed in order to write or improvise. On the other hand, letting your mind communicate to your hands what you’re *feeling* is also a “method” that your favorites do. No theory involved, just subjective, musical taste.

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    If I want to write something in a scale or improvise, do I need to memorize all of its positions on the fretboard or is there any other method? How do the pros do it?

Like Josh says, having a "toolkit" of licks and patterns and shapes is the start of it and can get you going, but the only way to really get good at improvising is to do it. A LOT. Until you can listen while you play and hear parts you like, you need to record yourself doing it (nothing fancy - back in the day, a simple cassette recorder 10 feet from the amp was fine) and listen back to see what you liked, and then remember how you did it.

Over time, you'll see that you suck less and less at it, have fewer times you "blank" on what to do next, and have fewer missed notes. But there will ALWAYS be stuff you improvise that didn't work out right - nature of the beast.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection