• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What makes your playing uniquely you?

Jamie London

GYNNER
Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    One of my favorite Jimmy Page quotes is:

“I believe every guitar player inherently has something unique about their playing. They just have to identify what makes them different and develop it.”

Not only is it one of my favorite Jimmy Page quotes, but it’s one of my favorite points of musical discussion. I asked this on Twitter but I’m dying to ask it here. What makes your playing uniquely YOU? And how do you want to expand upon it? I’m not just talking about guitar either. What makes the way you play your instrument, or draw your drawings, or write your writings, or whatever your form of artistic expression may be, what makes it special and unique to you?

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Great topic man!

It's so weird for me to even start to define this, just because I'm really aware of my influences so I always really struggle to say my style is uniquely mine with a straight face 😂

I guess there are 3 main pillars of influence in my playing that make it what it is:
    1.Rick Beato - For wide interval jumps, playing over changes, chord subs, general choices on the neck etc
    2. Syn - where my heavy use of Economy picking/sweeping comes from, combining arpeggios etc
    3. Tomo Fujita - where I get my phrasing and blues style ideas from and where I get my heavy use of Triads from.

I feel like the harmonic choices I make come from learning from Rick's stuff and the style of playing I try to accomplish comes largely from Syn & Tomo.

I guess that's why you could pass it off as 'unique' in a way, because Syn and Tomo and Rick have drastically different styles and ways of viewing the Guitar👌

I'm basically always chasing the mix of Rock/Metal (Syn) /Jazz (Rick B)/Blues (Tomo F) in my playing, 😊

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    The true thing that defines my playing, is how uniquely I mess up the playing🤣
    Same 😂

What makes the way you play your instrument, or draw your drawings, or write your writings, or whatever your form of artistic expression may be, what makes it special and unique to you?
    I’m glad you mentioned other forms too because for guitar I have no idea, but my drawing style could often be considered scratchy or messy. Call it careless if you want. To me it makes sense that in different forms or art the way you express yourself in one style is similar as in another style.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Coming up learning in the mid-80s, and kind of in a musical vacuum, there was so much to learn, but really no way to learn it from anyone or anything, so I had to figure a lot of techniques out on my own. As such, my style and tone are pretty unorthodox. Tonally, I favor a mid-heavy sound, instead of the usual scooped mids and boosted bass and treble.

Stylistically, I'm EXTREMELY improvisational, relying on that more than probably anything else when playing lead. I do a lot of things that don't make sense, but I've been doing them so long, they are part of my playing DNA.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I’ve thought on this for a bit and couldn’t come up with anything that defined my playing as me.
    But then it just slapped me in the face tonight as I picked up the acoustic from the chair in the corner…it’s my finger picking. I do not finger pick the “correct” way. I have tried over and over to do it the proper way, but it just doesn’t work for me…so I always just revert back to what feels comfortable and natural and I realized, that’s ME shining through. I can still pick what I’m playing and make it sound beautiful even if it’s not “correct” 😊

Synner Endless Summer Collection