• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What scale is this?

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    If it is a scale. 😅
    Excuse the bad drawing. I often play the top part of it, and I decided to expand it by adding the bottom and notes on the right. Actually just repeating the pattern. I'm sure it already exists though.
    20230523_135432.jpg

Solution
    Looking at the red notes it and playing through them, it seems to me like you're accessing a Bb Augmented arpeggio from a half step below each note, so you could definitely use it over a Bb Augmented, Bb Major chord, Bb5 chord, Bb altered dominant etc

For the notes on the right hand side, they are essentially the same pattern a Major 3rd Higher, so a D Augmented arpeggio with half step approach notes 👌

The best part is that Augmented triads are built in Major 3rds so you could view it as being all Bb Aug or all D Augmented (this is because Bb, D & F# Augmented Arpeggios share all the same notes (Bb, D & F#)

So you can continue moving the pattern up another Major 3rd to get an F# Augmented arpeggio with half step approach notes 😊

So...

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Looking at the red notes it and playing through them, it seems to me like you're accessing a Bb Augmented arpeggio from a half step below each note, so you could definitely use it over a Bb Augmented, Bb Major chord, Bb5 chord, Bb altered dominant etc

For the notes on the right hand side, they are essentially the same pattern a Major 3rd Higher, so a D Augmented arpeggio with half step approach notes 👌

The best part is that Augmented triads are built in Major 3rds so you could view it as being all Bb Aug or all D Augmented (this is because Bb, D & F# Augmented Arpeggios share all the same notes (Bb, D & F#)

So you can continue moving the pattern up another Major 3rd to get an F# Augmented arpeggio with half step approach notes 😊

So basically, I'm seeing it less like a scale and more like an Arpeggio with each note being accessed from a half step below 🤘

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
    Solution

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com

So basically, I'm seeing it less like a scale and more like an Arpeggio with each note being accessed from a half step below 🤘

Hope this helps!
    I played it starting at C (from the highest string), so that would be F augmented if I visualise it right?
    this could keep me thinking for a while. I'll try some things with it. Thank you!

• Love
    Reactions: Chris Johnston
    Upvote 0

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I played it starting at C (from the highest string), so that would be F augmented if I visualise it right?
    this could keep me thinking for a while. I'll try some things with it. Thank you!
    Yeah that's right 👌

So if you're starting it on C (assuming that's the half step lead in) then that would lead you into C#/Db Augmented with the notes: Db F A.

Because the Arpeggio is symmetrical, any note can be considered the root, so F Augmented works perfectly 😊

Last edited:

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Yeah that's right 👌

So if you're starting it on C (assuming that's the half step lead in) then that would lead you into C#/Db Augmented with the notes: Db F A.

Because the Arpeggio is symmetrical, any note can be considered the root, so F Augmented works perfectly 😊
    Thanks!

• Love
    Reactions: Chris Johnston
    Upvote 0