• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What to learn as a beginner

Zvonimir Zoki

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    Like the person above said:

Try to learn your favourite songs. Learn the chords and the chord progressions (bonus points if you learn them by ear). Then after some while when you get comfortable with your guitar try learning some other techniques like fingerpicking and harmonics. There are bunch of songs you can learn but it will be the most fun if you learn the songs that you personally like.

I hope this helped and good luck! :)

Upvote 0

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Keep growing your knowledge on the base level.Lear more chords and scales, continue to get a solid understanding of the fretboard, and find songs you dig! Start simple. Many songs out there are only a few chords and if they aren't chords that you're familiar with yet, you'll learn them by learning the song! Just make sure that whatever you do next, you enjoy it! That's key. It's not always "fun", but if you aren't enjoying it on some level, your interest may wane over time. You've got this! 🤘

Upvote 0

Tenn

New Student
    Mar 21, 2023
    Keep growing your knowledge on the base level.Lear more chords and scales, continue to get a solid understanding of the fretboard, and find songs you dig! Start simple. Many songs out there are only a few chords and if they aren't chords that you're familiar with yet, you'll learn them by learning the song! Just make sure that whatever you do next, you enjoy it! That's key. It's not always "fun", but if you aren't enjoying it on some level, your interest may wane over time. You've got this! 🤘
    Thank you so much for your input 🤘

Upvote 0

Tenn

New Student
    Mar 21, 2023
    Like the person above said:

Try to learn your favourite songs. Learn the chords and the chord progressions (bonus points if you learn them by ear). Then after some while when you get comfortable with your guitar try learning some other techniques like fingerpicking and harmonics. There are bunch of songs you can learn but it will be the most fun if you learn the songs that you personally like.

I hope this helped and good luck! :)
    Thank you so much for your input 😀

Reactions: Christian Schulze
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Gabriel Silva

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Do you like Avenged Sevenfold I guess, I started playing guitar because of them, they have some nice songs to learn as a beginner:
    So Far Away
    Tonight the World Dies
    Gunslinger
    Seize the Day

And if you want to play electric guitar, try to buy one ASAP, some people say that you SHOULD learn acoustic first but for me thats bs, only you know what do you want.

These were some examples, I would also advice to put some extra attention to details like vibratos and bends, get their exact pitch, intensity and speed, it makes a LOT of difference when you nail these things

Upvote 0
    I found So Far Away to be fairly easy, it was the first A7X song I learned and after that I went from playing only chords to challenging myself by playing lead even if I don't know the song on guitar yet. I would choose a song, see how easy you think it is, try it out, and if it doesn't go too horrible keep playing until you can play the song flawless

Upvote 0

Tenn

New Student
    Mar 21, 2023
    I found So Far Away to be fairly easy, it was the first A7X song I learned and after that I went from playing only chords to challenging myself by playing lead even if I don't know the song on guitar yet. I would choose a song, see how easy you think it is, try it out, and if it doesn't go too horrible keep playing until you can play the song flawless
    Thanks for the input 😀

Upvote 0

Tenn

New Student
    Mar 21, 2023
    Do you like Avenged Sevenfold I guess, I started playing guitar because of them, they have some nice songs to learn as a beginner:
    So Far Away
    Tonight the World Dies
    Gunslinger
    Seize the Day

And if you want to play electric guitar, try to buy one ASAP, some people say that you SHOULD learn acoustic first but for me thats bs, only you know what do you want.

These were some examples, I would also advice to put some extra attention to details like vibratos and bends, get their exact pitch, intensity and speed, it makes a LOT of difference when you nail these thing

So Far Away
    Tonight the World Dies
    Gunslinger
    Seize the Day

These were some examples, I would also advice to put some extra attention to details like vibratos and bends, get their exact pitch, intensity and speed, it makes a LOT of difference when you nail these things
    Yes, I do like avenged sevenfold. I've been following then for awhile now. Also, I don't think seize the day is easy though. Thank for the input too..

Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Could learn some scales to get the fingers going like the major scale, pentatonic and/or chromatic. Practice playing with a metronome is great too as are the lessons here. From outside resources too, maybe some things make more sense heard from different teachers. The best thing is have fun. Stretches and warmups are good. Learning the names on the fretboard and maybe even try to match the tone vocally saying them aloud. Like 2 things at once. Trying to add some.

I like to play acoustic guitar and once I looked for a list of "easy" songs to play and sing. Maybe that's an option if you have some trouble finding stuff.
    It says "easy" but its still difficult for me.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tenn
    Upvote 0

Tenn

New Student
    Mar 21, 2023
    Could learn some scales to get the fingers going like the major scale, pentatonic and/or chromatic. Practice playing with a metronome is great too as are the lessons here. From outside resources too, maybe some things make more sense heard from different teachers. The best thing is have fun. Stretches and warmups are good. Learning the names on the fretboard and maybe even try to match the tone vocally saying them aloud. Like 2 things at once. Trying to add some.

I like to play acoustic guitar and once I looked for a list of "easy" songs to play and sing. Maybe that's an option if you have some trouble finding stuff.
    It says "easy" but its still difficult for me.
    Thanks for the input

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0