• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

what was your first guitar?

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I still own my first guitar. I got it with an amp at a random store for 75 dollars used. Theres a giant buzz that I’d imagine is honestly just a loose wire but I haven’t touched it since I got the revenger. Cept for the time I had to get it taken in for month. I dont even remember what happened to it to be honest. I think it was the floyd rose. Nut issue. Feel like it wouldn’t tighten or something along those lines.
It looks like a cheap fender. Maybe I could just add some decent pickups to it. I didn’t want to buy the revenger til I felt I would actually play. Which became the case when my girl friend left me. Lol I mean what else was there to do?

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Dude that was 12 years ago. And honestly. My guitar never disappoints me. Even when I struggle. I wont put it down unless I’m required to once I pick it up. I just need more reasons to pick it up.
I now own like 7 or 8 guitars I only keep the old one cause like I said I think I could fix it up cheap. I havent looked at it. I’d also install a whammy if possible. There were always ideas.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Dude this was the first guitar. Maybe I should pull it put again.. see if it sounds any better lol
Btw.. I havent watched this yet but I bet its horrible. This was literally one of the first songs I recorded.

Now I’ll watch it for the 1st time in years with you all and laugh at myself.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Argentina
that sound better than my first amp hahaha i had an amp with a light amount of drive but it was a horseshit, amazing seeing how far you have got playing guitar my friend 🙂 its always fun to see our first recordings and compare to we are nowadays its pretty cool see that we’ve grow as a guitar player 🙂

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    1986 Ibanez PL1660 I bought at Alto Music in Monsey, NY in 1986 or so. I learned a LOT on that guitar, and I mean tech, wiring, setup, etc. I tried to scallop the top 4 frets like Steve Vai, I cut holes in it, I painted it like 4 different times.
    After I got the RG550, I let it sit without strings for a year or so. I didn’t realize that would be bad for the neck. There was no internet to show me how to fix the neck. When I couldn’t figure it out, I wound up tossing it. Sigh.

Kfir Yaakovi

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Israel
    Mine was some 100$ Silverhead guitar my parents bought me (a bundle with VOX 10V amp).
    I used it for so many years until I gave it to a friend who wanted to start playing the guitar.
    It sounded really terrible and I was the happiest kid 😀

Gabriel Corso

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    My first one was a Gibson collaboration with Baldwin and maestro I think.
    I bought this kit at TOYS R US in 2006 if I am not wrong.
    The funny bit is that it is a small guitar, meant for kids.
    I love that thing!!
    Of course it is not good! Of course it does not stay in tune! But I like it!!
    Bahaha

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dude I’ve been playing 13 years.. and I’d day 98% of my improvements came within the last year or two here. Just learning the scale patterns alone helps it makes you stop thinking and connect the dots by instinct then it’s a matter of shifting the pattern to fit the chord played.
    I’m also trying to find new ways to get from a to b sweeping is the challenge lately.

Rute Rodrigues

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    My first guitar was my guitar teacher who gave me it. Can you fuckin believe it? I was 14 years old, or 13, not sure, and I was starting w rock and metal music, and I was looking for guitars, I asked him to tell me some good guitars and he was like: Yeah, I will give you my guitar! I couldnt believe it. Its an honor. He is one of the coollest guy you ll ever meet! Is a Cort black guitar, idk the model. I still have it, well thats the only guitar I have tho XD Im 15 now… 🙂
    Sadly, the guy is not my teacher anymore, the local music school closed and he moved to Canada… 🙁 Its why Im here. 😀