• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What would you do different if you could start playing for the first time again?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Learn theory from the beginning. No shortcuts - meaningful practice sessions and discipline.

It’s easier to say than it would have been back in the mid-80s, where I grew up and the socioeconomic class I was in, but that’s what I wish I could have done differently.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    It’s probably counterintuitive to a degree…but, not listening so much to the opinions of others.
    I got so bogged down into so much input of how I “should do this or shouldn’t do that”, that I lost the enjoyment of it.
    Don’t get me wrong, constructive criticism is beneficial, but me personally…I took it all as negative criticism and felt like I wasn’t trying hard enough If I wasn’t practicing 10 hours a day or if I wasn’t standing up to play (despite having legitimate neuropathy issues) or if I fingered something differently than someone else would have done. So I started doing what some others said I should and that spark died. It began to feel like a chore to me for the longest time. It made me feel like I wasn’t allowed to be me and I had to fit into a little box of perfection.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    It’s probably counterintuitive to a degree…but, not listening so much to the opinions of others.
    I got so bogged down into so much input of how I “should do this or shouldn’t do that”, that I lost the enjoyment of it.
    Don’t get me wrong, constructive criticism is beneficial, but me personally…I took it all as negative criticism and felt like I wasn’t trying hard enough If I wasn’t practicing 10 hours a day or if I wasn’t standing up to play (despite having legitimate neuropathy issues) or if I fingered something differently than someone else would have done. So I started doing what some others said I should and that spark died. It began to feel like a chore to me for the longest time. It made me feel like I wasn’t allowed to be me and I had to fit into a little box of perfection.
    Fuck...I feel that! Every master got to be a master in their own way. How many great guitarist's hold the pick in an akward way XD