• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What's a simple way to remember the caged scale and chord combinations?

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    So something i do is to use partial chords, based on the cage system.

Ie. if you take the D shape, I will typically use the top three strings to move that shape up the neck, sometimes I use the G shape where I only use the top and bottom two strings (so three and four are muted).

When doing this, I need to know where the root note in the chord is so I can be playing the correct partial chords.

I hope that makes sense.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    So something i do is to use partial chords, based on the cage system.

Ie. if you take the D shape, I will typically use the top three strings to move that shape up the neck, sometimes I use the G shape where I only use the top and bottom two strings (so three and four are muted).

When doing this, I need to know where the root note in the chord is so I can be playing the correct partial chords.

I hope that makes sense.
    That's...actually a pretty cool idea. I remember tripping and falling in that solution when I was back in high-school but sorta forgot about it until you mentioned it :LOL:.

juiceellish

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    CAGED is essentially an easier way to think of the pentatonic scale shapes, plus a few other tricks for chords. You get pentatonic shapes, Major & Minor chord shapes, and Major & Minor arpeggio shapes. The letters of CAGED mostly match up with the major chord in that specific pentatonic shape. So, the basic minor pentatonic shape will have the open G Major chord shape as its major chord. The trick for finding/knowing what minor chords go with each shape is also in the CAGED name. So, if the G shape is the minor pentatonic, the note after the name of the shape is the root of the minor pentatonic shape: E minor pentatonic/open E Minor chord shape/G Major chord shape...all in the same pentatonic shape. And it continues for the rest of the shapes. The arpeggios are essentially the Major/Minor chords, just individually picked. Love the CAGED system.

• Love
    Reactions: Lindsey

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    CAGED is essentially an easier way to think of the pentatonic scale shapes, plus a few other tricks for chords. You get pentatonic shapes, Major & Minor chord shapes, and Major & Minor arpeggio shapes. The letters of CAGED mostly match up with the major chord in that specific pentatonic shape. So, the basic minor pentatonic shape will have the open G Major chord shape as its major chord. The trick for finding/knowing what minor chords go with each shape is also in the CAGED name. So, if the G shape is the minor pentatonic, the note after the name of the shape is the root of the minor pentatonic shape: E minor pentatonic/open E Minor chord shape/G Major chord shape...all in the same pentatonic shape. And it continues for the rest of the shapes. The arpeggios are essentially the Major/Minor chords, just individually picked. Love the CAGED system.
    I had to reread that a few times but that's a trick I need to remember. Thanks for sharing.

It reminded me of something I came across a while ago but forgot about, it's basically the same thing.
    In the minor pentatonic pattern the first note in the pattern is the rootnote of the minor chord.(em)
    If you want to play it over a major chord, The second note of the pattern is the root of that chord.(G)
    Here's the video where it's explained Link

Reactions: juiceellish