• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What's going on here?

juiceellish

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
  • Nov 11, 2019

@Syn Gates To your best memory (being 40 and all), what scales/scale modes are you playing through in this video? I'm inclined to say Melodic Minor stuff, being dark and dope sounding, of course, but I felt like asking instead of conducting scientific research to decipher wtf is happening. If it is Melodic Minor, then how are you modulating any/all changes/scales?

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    He's doing A LOT of stuff here if you view it lick by lick, but he's mostly transitioning between Harmonic Minor + Phrygian Dominant sounds. He's using Minor & Major Add 9 arpeggios & economy picked pentatonic scales too. He also goes into a straight up Major tapping lick later on.

The choice to use harmonic minor & phrygian dominant makes so much sense when you look into how A7X writes their chord progressions - they seem to love sitting on the Vb9 type sound leading to the home Minor chord. (Hail to the King Solo ending, Nightmare chorus ending, Bat Country solo ending etc)
    And that seems to be a lot of what Syn's doing in the early parts of the video, basically sweeping/shredding on the V chord and keeping the crowd in suspense and then back into the Minor licks.

Theres so much more that he does but that's what I'm hearing straight away 😊

Last edited: