• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Intermediate What's your approach to learning new chords?

Intermediate Theory

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Chords are more than just a shape, and there's a lot of them.
    Once you've passed the cowboy chords, the 7ths, 6th, the whole number of pi, and perhaps more random chord shapes the possibilities of combining them are endless. You need to learn how to use them too, which can be pretty difficult.

Most articles you'll find about learning chords are focussed at beginners. They talk about learing caged, triads, and understanding chordstructure. I'm talking about learning chords after understanding the basic theory behind it, and actually using them.

So back to the title; in your experience, what's the best way to learn chords?
    Is there a recommended order? Do you prefer to learn them one by one (one chord in all shapes), or per shape (one shape with chord variations)? Don't hold back on the details 😅

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    I just learn the formula and what notes comprise the chords. Like, for major 7th chords, it's 1-3-5-7, where those numbers represent the notes from the major scale. SO CMaj7 would be C-E-G-B.

Then I try and play it in different ways on the guitar. Shapes are cool and all, until I forget them and need to figure out the notes anyway :LOL:.

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    What Andrei Said!!!

Learn the formula and then search for the notes on the neck

I also got myself a chord encyclopedia to makes things a bit easier.

As a guide I would say. Start with major and minor chords.

Then go onto Major 7th minor seventh chords and Dominant seventh chords.

Go into sus2 and sus4 chords

Diminished triads too.

And after that....other chord extensions.

(Major 13...or major 6th or all sorts of stuff but go ahead with the above mentioned basic chords)

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I've been trying to pick notes out one by one with trial and error, then moving it around and some intervals I'd make something sharp or flat and it'd be okay.
    The theory I've been getting has been helping and speeding up the process
    I base a lot on distance and range, played a lot of games where this was important, maybe it's a good thing
    My memories lacking, could be short term
    Oh yeah and when I (re)learn a new chord I sometimes see how they mix with the other ones I'm comfortable with

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    If you're looking to experiment with modes and chords I found the piano the best place to play around. Easily laid out and you can easily transcribe it to guitar. You can try multiple chords out to find the best fit. Just easy really. Compared to the guitar where it seems you cam hit the same chord in multiple places. On piano you just have the octaves.

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I just came to my mind. @Lindsey do you know how to formulate chords out of a major scale? Maybe start there?

I have been thinking on making a video on that to be honest....perfect opportunity!
    Yes, I "know" all formulas. That's why I skipped the basic stuff in my post. It's what comes after understanding the theory that's more difficult. Memorising them aside, actually using them and combining them is a whole different task.

Reactions: Christian Schulze

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Yes, I "know" all formulas. That's why I skipped the basic stuff in my post. It's what comes after understanding the theory that's more difficult. Memorising them aside, actually using them and combining them is a whole different task.
    Thats awesome but, do you know what chords you can get out of a Major scale? And how to make them. Like how the 7th chord is a diminished triad or chord but a a min7b5 chord too?

Reactions: Lindsey

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Thats awesome but, do you know what chords you can get out of a Major scale? And how to make them. Like how the 7th chord is a diminished triad or chord but a a min7b5 chord too?
    Yes, I understand that. and I also know how to make augmented and sus chords. I just don't really use those. Most of what I play only uses powerchords. So that's what I need to change I guess

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Yes, I understand that. and I also know how to make augmented and sus chords. I just don't really use those. Most of what I play only uses powerchords. So that's what I need to change I guess
    Understood! 😁

Why dont you challenge yourself.

What I did for myself, as I struggle with something pretty similar, is pick a random scale. Formulate all and then pick a random note of that scale and a random extension for it. Like if it is a minor chord..maybe work in a minor 6th or something like that.

I made myself a little game for that.

As mentioned I bought myself a chord encyclopedia. I wrote down all avaialble chord formulations on a card and on the other side of the chard I just write one of the 12 notes. Then I pick a random card and try to incorporate it into my 7 chords for a scale.

• Love

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Understood! 😁

Why dont you challenge yourself.

What I did for myself, as I struggle with something pretty similar, is pick a random scale. Formulate all and then pick a random note of that scale and a random extension for it. Like if it is a minor chord..maybe work in a minor 6th or something like that.

I made myself a little game for that.

As mentioned I bought myself a chord encyclopedia. I wrote down all avaialble chord formulations on a card and on the other side of the chard I just write one of the 12 notes. Then I pick a random card and try to incorporate it into my 7 chords for a scale.
    Like rolling a dice to pick chords. That's a good idea. I have a chord book too so I can open it at a random page to find a new chord. I'm sticking to one scale though. Someone suggested me to stick to practice in one key/ scale recently. Nice guy, you would like him. He's filled with good ideas.

• Love

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Like rolling a dice to pick chords. That's a good idea. I have a chord book too so I can open it at a random page to find a new chord. I'm sticking to one scale though. Someone suggested me to stick to practice in one key/ scale recently. Nice guy, you would like him. He's filled with good ideas.
    Hmmm I think I know that guy XD.

But yeah. Sounds great roll a dice and pick a chord. Gamification inside my routine really made a fun difference for me.

• Love

juiceellish

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    It's shapes for me. I know the notes of each type of chord for any root note, but when it comes to playing this or that, I'm thinking shapes. I think learning 7th chords and the 3 inversions for the 5th- and 4th-string sets are the way to go to be able to branch the voicings out and get away from basic 6th-string chords. Leave the bass notes to the bass players. I did/do this and I learned where the root note is for each inversion for each string set. As for order, I learned Maj7 and the 3 inversions first, then Min7, then Dom7, then Min7b5. Next, for me, is Maj7#5 and MinMaj7. I've known Dim7 shapes forever so I don't bother with that. I just learn where they go within the Harmonic Minor/Major scales and then how they line up with Dom7 chords.

• Love

Ryan Vega

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Florida
    nearlyspent.bandzoogle.com
    Chords are more than just a shape, and there's a lot of them.
    Once you've passed the cowboy chords, the 7ths, 6th, the whole number of pi, and perhaps more random chord shapes the possibilities of combining them are endless. You need to learn how to use them too, which can be pretty difficult.

Most articles you'll find about learning chords are focussed at beginners. They talk about learing caged, triads, and understanding chordstructure. I'm talking about learning chords after understanding the basic theory behind it, and actually using them.

So back to the title; in your experience, what's the best way to learn chords?
    Is there a recommended order? Do you prefer to learn them one by one (one chord in all shapes), or per shape (one shape with chord variations)? Don't hold back on the details 😅
    personally, i've learned a lot of different chords just from covering songs I like sometimes they'll have a funky chord that i've never played and if you're somewhere like say ultimate-guitar.com they have the name of it and all the different positions. If you wanna start learning some really cool chords you should give that django reindhart guy a listen that Syn talks about a lot and look up the rhythm parts. Him specifically i've learned lots of cool chords and techniques from learning the rythm and lead parts. Good luck on you chord journey :)

• Love