• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Whats your favorite pick?

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    So I’ve noticed all my guitar playing friends all use different picks. Different sized picks. Different shapes. So I wanted to ask the community. What’s your guy’s favorite guitar pick?
    Mine is the Dunlop Gator Grip 2mm. Love the thickness and feeling.
    I also use those but 1.14mm. I loved the ''anti-slip texture'', but that wore off.

Ben Grosskreuz

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    I was kinda flirting with the .77 and the 2.0 gator grip and decided on the gator grips as I was previously using full time. Another student said I should check out some 3.0 mm picks (insane!) And I'm definately gonna give them a try!

Moonrunner

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Galicia
    twitter.com
    I've been through a lot of picks through the years. My most costant ones would be these:

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-09 at 20.53.45.jpeg

TOP LEFT: Dunlop Gator 2.0mm | One of my friends lent me one at a concert and I ended up using these for 2 years. Syn also used them, so I kinda stuck with them.
    TOP RIGHT: Dunlop John Petrucci jazz III 1.5mm ultex | Althought I did NOT like how ultex sounded and felt in my hand, the shape was extremely comfortable. so I moved from the Gators toward these.
    WHITE ONE'S: Both Dunlop Tosin Abasi sigs, Jazz III XL 0.6mm tortex | My most recent ones, and honestly i love them. Nowdays I usually play these.
    BOTTOM ONE: Timber Tones jazz III Ebony | i use this pick exclusively for picking, never for strumming. It gives such an unique sound, its thicker than most jazz III, but pretty comfortable given the thickness. I DO recommend them. https://www.thomann.de/gb/timber_tones_blues_tones_tae1_african_ebony.htm

As mention, i did use other picks in the past, nowdays i preffer thinner picks, they do have a juicier attack especially when palm muting and also function a little like a compressor in that they bend more when you pick harder, or when you're picking on the thicker strings.
    I am a heavy picker myself, i do encourage trying thinner picks if you are one too.