• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Whats your favorite pick?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I still consider myself to be picksperimenting. For roughly 25 years, it was the Dunlop Jazz Stubby 2.0mm. For a bit, they became harder to find, and I was afraid I’d have to change overnight, so I started looking around. What I’m using right now is the piss-yellow Dunlop Ultex Jazz III.
    It’s good, and I’m used to it, but there’s a part of me that wants to pick up my purple stubbies again and see if they’re still my favorites.

D K

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Belgium
    I had been using the John Petrucci jazz III for a long while, then I switched to the JP flow pick and really liked. Recently I got myself a variety pack of dunlop flow picks and now I’m really digging the 0.73 and 0.88 mm flow picks, which is kinda weird because I always thought thicker picks were the better option for me.

This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  D K.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Firsty Lasty

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    My overall favorite is the Andy James flow by Dunlop, but it’s only one out of many picks that I like. No one pick is best at everything, so the search for the next fun toy never ends.
    For the specific job of scraping a pick down the windings of the fat strings, the Dunlop ultex .60 is the best I’ve tried. It’s so savage.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    @Firsty – those are another variation on Ultex, which is seeming to be becoming the go-to for boutique picks, and I totally see why. I’m loving the material. It sounds good, FEELS great, and lasts forever. Definitely going to continue to experiment with Ultex picks – not even looking at other materials anymore, though, until like, MEGATREX comes out or something.

Firsty Lasty

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah, I’m a big fan of ultex for several reasons. The pick I probably practiced the most with in the last two years is the Clayton 1.2 mm ultex, but I don’t use those very often anymore. They’re one of many old favorites that were awesome at the time but now are completely outclassed by the Andy James pick.

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I’ve been on a big kick lately for really high quality picks and got a Blue Chip Big Jazz 60($40 pick!), a couple Wegen picks which are a bit less pricey, and my next one is a Red Bear pick. It’s arguable, but many people say Blue Chip picks are the best on the planet. They use a special material that is INCREDIBLY difficult to wear down and can actually last for years, and they sound really FULL. I love them.
    Main

The Wegen pick surprised me because they almost feel like a cheap plastic, but they sound great and they feel amazing because of the grips and the bevels which make them feel very smooth and broken in.
    https://www.gryphonstrings.com/wegen-picks/
    Red Bear’s are supposed to sound like real tortoise shell, which is what pick used to be made out of, but you have to be careful with those because too much moisture can destroy them(These also run about $35 per pick with shipping). These can also be made with speed bevels for more playability. These are also the ones Guthrie Govan uses and even has a signature pick with them. Red Bear also has a pretty huge selection if shapes and sizes and is pretty much guaranteed to have the perfect shape for you. The problem is that there is only 2 guys making all of their picks and they only make new picks once every 2 or 3 weeks.
    https://www.redbeartrading.com/
    As for the cheap ones, the new Tortex Flow 1.5mm are AMAZING! Compared to the others they don’t sound as good, but the shape might be the perfect shape. It’s full size like the standard teardrop shape, but it also has a more pointed tip like a Jazz III. I HIGHLY recommend these if you are a fan of Tortex, Jazz IIIs, or standard teardrops shape picks. It’s really the perfect combination of other classic picks.
    https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/558p100-7-10137-11605-4.do

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah, I’m stoked to try them Ed! I’ve been wanting to go crazy on all the little gear things for a while just to find out what impact they make on tone. I bought the Axe FX III, a clean, flat poweramp and a cab setup, a nice PRS Custom 24, and now I just replaced all my cables with custom Mogami cables(which I decided to build myself because it’s WAY cheaper), and now I’m trying all different kinds of pick material. All the little things really can make a big impact if your ear is trained to hear it. People try to make youtube videos to show the differences, but it really doesn’t do justice.