• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

When should I progress to the next lesson?

Eslam Salem

Free Bird Player
Jan 22, 2021
Egypt
I've been stuck for a while now on the G, D, and A chords lesson. The previous ones were slightly easier, but I'm having trouble with muting and then immediately transitioning to a chord like papa gates does. Should I only start the next lesson when I can play everything papa gates plays in the lesson? Or should I get familiar with the chords for now and practice on some songs?

JimmyS

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
South Africa
I've been stuck for a while now on the G, D, and A chords lesson. The previous ones were slightly easier, but I'm having trouble with muting and then immediately transitioning to a chord like papa gates does. Should I only start the next lesson when I can play everything papa gates plays in the lesson? Or should I get familiar with the chords for now and practice on some songs?
Hey there, I'd suggest practice these chords with songs that use them, it's faster and more fun. What I like to do is practice material that seems harder, then once I achieve some progress on that I go back to basics and it becomes really easy...if you know what I mean. Basically throw yourself into attempting something you think is impossible, this will push you ahead quickly. Keep jamming bro.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    That lesson was one of the longer ones. I think if you just remembered the shapes you could move and start on the next ones. Maybe after learning all the chord shapes it'll be more fun practicing the muting and smoother changes. Whatever seems hard, you kind of want to practice that specifically. You can loop parts of the lessons and slow them down, there's also jam tracks to practice over. I didn't know all this at first, it might help.

Reactions: Eslam Salem

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Do what feels right, but make sure you really UNDERSTAND what PG says. If you really don't at all, maybe ask the forum or watch a couple of lessons after that to see if you get the bigger picture (that was more directed towards the music theory heavy lessons coming up)
    Other than that I would say, if you still have fun with it, find interesting ways to practice what PG taught until you get it down to muscle memory. If you start losing interest completely, but you understood the topic it's fair to move on. That's how I handle the lessons at least :money-face:

Reactions: idssdi
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I re-watched the lesson, this other one should help. It's almost the same thing just without chords. You can add your chords notes in on the x's as a guide. I heard it's good to keep your strumming hand moving even if you mess up the notes or you hit them a bit late.

There's another lesson that was way longer, might have been from the CAGED system. These first chords/shapes are the basis of all the other ones.

Everyone posted good advice too, also the metronome click. It's probably good to have it on a lot even if your not paying attention to it