• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Who here can play The Wicked End Solo?

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
I’m currently working on the entire City of Evil Album, front to back. Right now that means learning the solo to The Wicked End. At first I was using another great resource https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/avenged-sevenfold-the-wicked-end-tab-s22455t4 (Make sure you’re on track LEAD 3!). But I feel like the 3 or 4 sequences of sweep picking at the end of the solo are not transcribed accurately. I even checked a book that has sheet music and tablature. The book has a stamp that claims it is official/accredited. But it is note for note the same as the songsterr link I shared above.
If you check out the songster link above, look at “Measure 101” on track “LEAD 3.” I noticed that the first sequence is not transcribed in the way I would think to play it naturally. Mainly because 6 notes in it says to play the (C# & D on the 11th & 12th fret of the 4th string). But that completely changes the shape/position of your hand. I decided to instead play the (C# & D on the 16TH & 17TH fret of the 5th string). It worked out much better! Then I realized I’d seen this pattern before… AT THE SYNYSTER GATES SCHOOL! Here, https://syngates.com/lessons/sweep-picking-4-lesson-82/ It’s the very first example, played in a different position… But the sequence is exactly the same. So this confirms that the tablature is less than perfect. And it becomes even more apparent as I try to work out the conclusion of the solo.
I’ve found 3 or 4 youtube videos of people playing the solo the way I believe it is meant to be played. This is probably the best one in terms of skill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AyjpX3TW7k
However if I end up learning the solo off a video, this guy probably has a better camera angle for viewing each note clearly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBuLkkXdxos
Anyway, I think the sequences of sweeps is slightly less sporadic than the tablature shows. Still difficult… but more natural/simple. I think it resolves on that D on the 17th fret of the 5th string multiple times before wrapping it all up.
So if there is anyone here that has already mastered this solo, I’d love to hear how you did it!

Allan

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Brasil
Hey Daniel!
In five years I will return to talk about The Wicked End Solo… just kidding. 😀
The first video I think it is more accurately in terms of tempo and notes, also this guy covers a bunch of other A7X Solos.
Anyway, I just comment to follow this discussion.
Good Luck!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Tab books think they are right. Lol theres different positions you can plaY things.. and of course tone comfort and style all negate where youd play certain things. Also feel syn changes up his positions to make things easier live or whatever in some of his solos. But as jak has been pointing out as well the school will show you the patterns. It’s a pretty fun feeling when you realize which scale is being used.. and suddenly the song makes sense.

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Tell you what, when I figure this sequence out 100% I will post a video of the solo in full speed and slowed down so that anyone else interested in it can learn it. Plus let’s be honest sometimes figuring stuff out the hard way makes you a better player!

Alan Celis

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
i slowed down the audio of the song and this is what i got

the final note is actually a bend on the 21 fret( i dont like to bend my high e string bcuz of past experiences) and on the last sweep theres a slight alteration that no cover got
i played it really sloppy but its bcuz this solo is the hardest in city of evil id say

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Alan Celis, dude that is actually so cool that you made that clip! You earned a follow with that. I worked 12 hour shifts all weekend. But I’m going to sit down now and tackle the end of this solo now. It’s definitely a killer but it looks like you got it! If not you’re damn near 100% in terms of what notes to hit. I’ll post my cover here A.S.A.P.

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Here are two takes of the wicked end guitar solo. One has the track playing in the back, the other is me playing solo.

If anyone has a question or wants a video of the sweep picking sequences slowed down let me know and I will try to help you out!

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Sure Christopher, if you have a video to share I think that would be great. I refined the end a little bit since recording the video I already posted. Also I am looking in to getting some equipment and posting a higher quality video for you guys. I’m hoping to get an audio interface and hd camera to record music on my laptop. I think it would be fun to post my progress and share my work with people.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Im still not fully setup for recording things properly, but just so you dont have to wait, I tabbed out the solo and section just before it on powertab so you can hear what it sounds like. I will do a video, soon, playing the solo and explaining what I think was going through Syn’s mind as he was writing it to open the theory up for you guys a little and hopefully give people some new soloing options and concepts. This solo is chock full of really cool musical concepts like anticipation, chromaticism, and re-harmonization. Harmonically, he uses the Eb quite a bit over the G minor chord (Eb Major 7) which implies phyrgian even though the whole progression is strictly diatonic and in D natural minor, aside from the last chord which is an A7 and uses the C#. It really has kind of a bebop sound to a lot of it.
Im pretty sure this is either 100% correct or about 98% correct, depending on how you choose to tab something out. You can transcribe things EXACTLY how they are play on the album, but if you have any experience transcribing, you’ll know that once things are slowed down and you hear every little note and sound that is played, everything isn’t totally intended and on purpose. Sometimes you hear little pick scratches or extra notes that dont seem like they were meant to be played. Maybe the player’s technique was “off” a little. Either way, I chose to tab it how I’m pretty sure Syn wrote it and not necessarily every little noise that was recorded. I think you’ll understand once you hear the Powertab.
Also take notes of the sweeps, they are not exactly the same going up and down each time. He’s playing different notes as they lead into the next chord. So like on the first D minor sweep he plays 13-16-17 or F Ab A, and then plays 13-17-18 on the next, because the next chord is a Bb Major and the notes LEAD into a Bb Major chord so he is playing a strong chord tone on the down beat of the next measure. It’s difficult for me to explain through message, but hopefully I will be able to properly convey it in the video.
Anyway, here it is. Hopefully this is the end all, be all for the transcription of this modern day legend of a solo. Enjoy guys and girls.
The Wicked End Solo (Powertab) – https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sRzNtSMbC95mki1mNKbLf9eAwY5FrJBI