• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Who/what inspired you to play guitar?

The Raven

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
For you lazy people, tl;dr – Syn and Dimebag
So we all had that one kick in the boot that made us decide to play guitar and try it seriously. For some of us, it was just getting our first axe as a gift at Christmas. For others, it’s hearing a sick lick in a song and wanting to play along. For others, its inspiration in the media such as musicians on stage or actors. So here’s my question for all of the school. What/who inspired you to play guitar? And also how?
Now I’ll start with myself, I find it only fair. I got my first guitar at about 10-12, I can’t quite remember. I never learned how to play it properly before I broke it but it sparked my interest.
The biggest single influence for me as a guitarist has to have been Syn and Dimebag. Syn introduced me to my interest in playing the guitar and some of the first songs I started learning where Avenged songs. Dimebag wasn’t an inspiration until I was older and learned to appreciate his techniques and songs. Now I have to say Dimebag is a larger inspiration to me than Syn (No offense Syn 😉 ) but Syn still has my personal thanks for getting me to pick up the guitar seriously for the first time.
I do have other inspirations of course. A big one being Metallica as a band. I absolutely love their songs and still work on practicing them every day. Five Finger is also a big inspiration for me.
But now I want to know what about all of you? What bands inspired you? Who is your guitar hero?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    There were a bunch, and I’m not young. Mark Knopfler, Randy Rhoads, Warren DeMartini from Ratt, and Steve/Phil (and Pete!) from Def Leppard, back when they were awesome. Lots more came after I started playing, but those were the guys that really got me wanting a guitar.
    The ones that really KEPT me going in the early years were Frank and Tommy from Tesla, Chris and Mike from Queensryche, Davey and H from Maiden, George Lynch, Satch, Vai, NUNO BETTENCOURT, and a lot of others.
    The guys who got me BACK into playing after I’d drifted from the path were Syn, Matt and Corey from Trivium, Adam D from Killswitch, Mark Tremonti, and a few others. Mark and Syn are the ones that really make me want to be better. The other guys just make me want to be faster or have longer fingers.

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Gotta say, at the start it was Joe perry. I was and still am a huge theme park enthusiast and when I went to euro disney i started listening to aerosmith (for rock n rollercoaster) after that there are a few main players I gravitated to, It went Zakk- Morello and then to my main players which are Syn, petrucci, Vai, Satch, 80s shredders like Nuno, EVH etc and then Rammstein.
    I have never been a huge fan of the word inspiration as a lot of the time there isn’t a player I take things from. I never delved into a players nuances to really say that these aspects of my playing and the reason I do certain things is because of an artist. so these are just the stand out players thatI enjoy listening to when playing.
    Im sure I have been influenced but its more from genres than artists.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Anna Taylor

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Österreich
    @ed I agree! I’m honestly thankful I got to see the Stones live. Same with Ozzy and Lemmy. Sucks to be of a younger generation, because I grew up on that kinda stuff thanks to my father. At least I got to see some of them! It really is amazing that they are still kicking though.

Synner Endless Summer Collection