• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Whole Tone Scale Patterns - Lesson 100

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Maybe it's because I'm unfamiliar with the whole-tone scale sound, but I have no clue on which root note I should start when using the backing tracks.
The backingtracks are a ii V i in C minor and ii V I in C major. That tells you that the chords are Dm|G7|Cm or Dm|G7||C(I didn't really go for fancy pants stuff there but in the backingtrack the chords are fancier than that). From the intervals in the Whole tone scale you know tht it works over. Major chord so for example you can chose the C whole tone scale to play over the V-I transition. The other root notes are D and G. What's important to note is that the backingtracks are jazz and improvising over jazz isn't really as straightforward as improvising over your typical rock backingtrack. You really need to think about what you do over each individual chord(scales, arpeggios), you can definitely not use the one scale fits all approach here.

• Love
Reactions: Shumu and Lindsey

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    The backingtracks are a ii V i in C minor and ii V I in C major. That tells you that the chords are Dm|G7|Cm or Dm|G7||C(I didn't really go for fancy pants stuff there but in the backingtrack the chords are fancier than that). From the intervals in the Whole tone scale you know tht it works over. Major chord so for example you can chose the C whole tone scale to play over the V-I transition. The other root notes are D and G. What's important to note is that the backingtracks are jazz and improvising over jazz isn't really as straightforward as improvising over your typical rock backingtrack. You really need to think about what you do over each individual chord(scales, arpeggios), you can definitely not use the one scale fits all approach here.
    Thanks, that was useful.

Reactions: idssdi
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com

My lesson on last saturday from my teacher. Doing some whole tone arpeggios on string number 6543.
    It's my first attempt. Still not familiar with the tones. I forgot sometimes, and do alternate picking while I have to do it with sweeps. LOL
    👍👍
    I never realised that pattern you're playing actually is this scale. I had to look at the lesson tabs to make the connection. Smart.

Reactions: Javier Wienarjati

Javier Wienarjati

Campfire Attention Holder
    Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    👍👍
    I never realised that pattern you're playing actually is this scale. I had to look at the lesson tabs to make the connection. Smart.
    Thanks Lindsey. My teacher showed me some sequences and licks. Then I went here to see PG's stuffs on lesson 99. PG made this weird scale sounds so cool.
    I have some augmented chords that goes with the scale I think.

Reactions: Lindsey

Javier Wienarjati

Campfire Attention Holder
    Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Hello..it's me again. LOL
    I forget to post something that I did last month. I went messing around some whole tone backingtracks. It's messed up, and I am currently moving on from whole tone topic to other topics. So here's my final project on this topic.

Note : I have slice on soundslice for the tabs, but I cannot put it here because I use free slice account. So I put the slice link on the YT caption.