• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Why do some chords have numbers on them?/ Having trouble figuring out chords

Leo The Gym Rat

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Hey guys!, since i'm new to music theory, i don't really understand why some chords have numbers on them, for example on the D#5 chord, what does the 5 mean?
And what does sus and add means in a chord.
Also, i was trying to figure out what chords where played in the stage, i managed to figure out the E5 assuming that E,B and E were the 1st, 3rd and 5th degree of the E major scale, however on the D#5 i didn't manage to figure it out using the method i mentioned, why is that?, i don't think it was a mistake since i checked it several times, and i even tried checking the Eb scale since, on my understanding (I'm probably severly wrong here lol) Eb=D# on the circle of fifths atleast, Thanks!

Last edited:

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Hey dude!

Before anything, its a bit difficult to explain it in text and I know that there are actual lessons in the school where PG goes over this so I will tell you which if my written explanation is not clear enough! If anyone wants to do corrections on my own explanations, please do!

You made a small mistake with your E5 Chord.

Let's take a look at the E major scale: E, F♯, G♯, A, B, C♯, D♯

The first degree is the tonic so yes, its E

However, if you count in the scale, the third degree is G#, not B.

B is the fifth degree.

So if E5 is E - B - E, then there is only the tonic (first degree) and its fifth (fifth degree) and then it goes back to the tonic but an octave higher. E cannot be the fifth degree of its own scale, that's just not how it works.

Generally speaking, E5, D#5, A5, etc... are what we call power chords. Its only the root and its fifth. They are neither Major nor minor as only the context of how they are used will determine this.

Now you used a tricky note to explore as D# Major scale is quite an odd one to write and understand without more ''advanced'' understanding. I would advise you to see its as Eb. They sound the same but its just that from a theory perspective, Eb is less of a hassle.

Anyways, so to go back, you have to understand that The 1st, 3rd and 5th degree of a scale form a chord. Major or minor will depend on if the 3rd is Major or minor but for the exemple, let's keep it simple with Major.

So when you see a chord like Gsus4, it means that the 3rd degree is raised by a half step.

So if G is: G - B - D (1st - 3rd - 5th)

Then Gsus4 is: G - C - D (1st - 4th - 5th)

Suspended means that we are suspending the 3rd and that it wants to resolve back. So you naturally want to go from Gsus4 back to G.

If we talk about augmented, we then have to raise the fifth.

Gaug: G - B - D#

Now I could go on and on but I dont want to give you too much. It's a lot to take in. I would suggest if you want to go deeper in it to go to lesson 48 ''building chords''. All that I already told you here pretty much comes straight out of this lesson as it's what I used to learn and understand the logic of chord structure.

Hope that it helps!

Hector Trejo

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Houston, TX
    Sus = suspension. In my head I think of it as substitution. So like a C Major chord would have “Root 3rd 5th”. This is “C E G” respectively. A CSUS4 chord would “substitute” the 3rd with the 4th of C. The fourth of C is F. So CSUS4 = “C F G”

Add = Add notes. So in CADD4, you’d still keep your third. CADD4 = “C E F G”

Adding a 5 is just implying power chords which are just root and fifth. So a C5 = “C G”
    D#5 is a D# power chord. “D# A#”

Hope this helps!!🤘🏼🤘🏼

Last edited:

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Basically a chord is made up of intervals. For example and E5 refers to a chord where E is the root and it has the root and the fifth(so a power chord). Then the most basic chord is the E which has a root, third and fifth. Then anything that alters from that basic E chord needs to be named according to what you changed so you add the intervals in the name so it's clear.

E7 would be a major chord with a minor seventh
    E9 would be a major chord with minor seventh and a ninth
    Emaj7 would be a major chord with a major seventh and so forth

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Not much to add as everyone has covered the most Important points - but one thing to note is that when you see a 9, 11 or 13 in a chord - it really means a 2nd, 4th or 6th only up the octave - or you could always count 9, 11 or 13 notes up your Major Scale and you'll still land on them. These are called upper extensions or extended chords 👌

For example:
    - a Cadd9 would be C E G D - (the D being the 9) you wouldn't really call it Cadd2
    - A G13 would have G B D F A E (the E being the 13) - you typically won't be able to fret all the notes in big chords like these, so most guitarists leave out the 11th, 5th or 9th as they don't take away any of the chord's character 😊

Also it's worth pointing out too, if you have a Minor chord with a 6th or 13th then it will still be referring to the Natural 6th/13th in the Dorian Mode, not the b6/b13 in your Natural Minor Scale.

However a Minor7 chord will have the b7 found in your Natural Minor Scale 🤟

It's really best to learn these things gradually and take your time, it's kinda like a language 😊

Last edited:

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Waiting for Ids to explain what imposter chords are
    Imposter chords are just substitutions that make it function as a different chord.

For example, if you play a G in an Aminor chord progression the G is a substitution of Em7 so while you're playing a G it functions as a V chord so the G is clearly an imposter

J

Jak Angelescu

Imposter chords are just substitutions that make it function as a different chord.

For example, if you play a G in an Aminor chord progression the G is a substitution of Em7 so while you're playing a G it functions as a V chord so the G is clearly an imposter
    OMG YOU GUYS🤣🤣🤣🤣😭😭😭
    I'M LITERALLY RED FACED WITH TEARS🤣🤣🤣

J

Jak Angelescu

Wow Ids how is it you knew all of that?

Ids is sus