• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

With the risk of sounding like a narcissist....

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
What is up Synner Fam?!

As the title says I am coming to you with a risky proposal…but look at yourself more!

I suggest that you have an archive of your videos (like in my case my Instagram account) and from time to time look at old videos of yourself.

As with any hobby a positive feedback loop is always better than a negative feedback loop, so instead of focusing on the things you cannot do yet (and I suffer hard from this one!), focus on how much you have grown ever since you started!

I feel so proud of myself of how much I have grown and that in turn inspires me to grow more, at my own pace of course. We can all compare each other with others and get kinda discouraged by this (we all have seen awesome players that in lesser time than us have more than surpassed us at our skill level).

But funnily enough, when we compare ourselves with each other…..you feel actually encouraged!

Guitar is not a marathon or a contest. It’s you expressing yourself and having fun….so shut the others out, and focus more on yourself. Look at yourself, analyze yourself, be constructively critical to yourself (Kindly though!!!!!) and watch yourself grow and bloom.

If you have not heard it yet! I am proud of your growth and progress and so should be you! Keep up the good work and keep rocking! :rock-hand::skull:

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I couldn’t agree more !!!! Seeing YOUR own growth is so powerful ! As with anything in life, comparing yourself and progress to others is only going to hinder you. We all have our journey to take, and focusing on how far you have come is the best way to do it ! But ya blinders on and forget about what everyone else is doing ! 😊

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Just wait til you get older and looking at those old videos becomes, "Holy shit, look what I used to be able to do!"
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    DAAAAAAAAAMN.....Well shredd will be less...but I actually don't mind I believe...I wanna nurture more my melodic sense and my ear...so the older I get....I see myself playing jazz on a white falcon!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    I couldn’t agree more !!!! Seeing YOUR own growth is so powerful ! As with anything in life, comparing yourself and progress to others is only going to hinder you. We all have our journey to take, and focusing on how far you have come is the best way to do it ! But ya blinders on and forget about what everyone else is doing ! 😊
    Thank you so much Alicia! But yeah...I find myself a lot happier when I compare myself with my past selves.

• Love
    Reactions: Alicia Willis

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Yeah, for me it was looking at the performance I did at my high school's talent show... looking back, ouf I wasn't so good. I came a long way. And the worst is that it shows that i wanted to be like Syn so hard... but you gotta take my words for it. Unfortunately i'm the only one who has the footage! 🤷‍♂️

But for real though, great post. I sincerely believe that music is a personal journey and that it's okay if you take your time to get where you want to be. And at a certain point, even when you realize your goals, you just realize that there is much more to be done! It's a lifelong journey!

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    And the worst is that it shows that i wanted to be like Syn so hard...
    But you obviously couldn't handle all the greatness that being a guitarist is, so you had to go with your backup plan and try so hard to be like Johnny Christ. But you failed at this too. 💁🏻‍♀️

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Yeah, for me it was looking at the performance I did at my high school's talent show... looking back, ouf I wasn't so good. I came a long way. And the worst is that it shows that i wanted to be like Syn so hard... but you gotta take my words for it. Unfortunately i'm the only one who has the footage! 🤷‍♂️

But for real though, great post. I sincerely believe that music is a personal journey and that it's okay if you take your time to get where you want to be. And at a certain point, even when you realize your goals, you just realize that there is much more to be done! It's a lifelong journey!
    Indeed lifelong it is, the search will never end. that's why looking for what we can't do is not the solution for happyness (maybe for our next goal) but what we already can do. I mean mastering the F chord...was pretty big for me!