• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

You Guys! I Am So Excited! My New Picking Technique Is Working!

J

Jak Angelescu

Okay I just HAD HAD to share this! On my Instagram, I mentioned how specifically for this school I’m going to upload updated tutorials full of A7X content that I know. BUT, this time around, the tutorials will feature both rhythm AND lead, as well as new exercises for each song, AND I’ll also be including little footnotes about which lessons on here you guys can practice to obtain these techniques. But the BIGGEST thing in the WHOLE world that I just can’t simply stop squeaking over, is a HUGE breakthrough of this picking technique I’ve adopted.
I have been religiously studying Syn’s new etudes and his picking hand was doing things that mine wasn’t. So I played around with it, and I finally felt myself truly improve in MINUTES. I needed to stop gripping my pick so tightly! It’s more than just that, but in the updated HTTK tutorial I’ll be posting this week, it will go in to much more depth about it. But this is why I am so squealy.
I haven’t played this solo in MONTHS. And when I DID manage to get it up to speed, I was tense and it was always a lucky shot. And I didn’t feel comfortable with it at all. But now with this new approach and method, I played this whole solo up to speed, comfortably, more smoothly and I didn’t even WARM UP. It was literally the first thing I played!
Please enjoy my most prized take of the Hail To The King solo!!! LOVE YOU GUYS AND I FUCKING LOVE THIS SCHOOL!!!!

Evan Cosman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
That sounds so Great Jak! I’m so impressed that you played that WITHOUT even warming up and was your first attempt in months thats crazy! I also grip my pick way too hard i get really tense when playing so naturally i just start choking my pick to death so i gotta work on that, great work on your breakthrough!

What a breakthrough! We already talked about it on insta, but I am SO excited for this and I can’t wait to watch your videos. I was actually gonna ask some questions about picking technique the other day here on the forum, cause I feel I need improvement on that area. Which etudes did you study? The brand new one?

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I know exactly how it feels, I recently realised I held the pick in a really uncomfortable way and although it is weird coming to grips with it the strides I have made are huge. Well done, cant wait to see how you progress with it over time!