• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Your top 3 of each decade!

Hi everyone! :)
A little game to pass the time if you are bored.

Tell us your top 3 songs or albums from the following decades:
50s
60s
70s
80s
90s
00s
10s

(You don't have to do them all, but hats off if you do!)
You can include a YouTube or a Spotify link if you want, and go into detail if you so desire! Have fun! 😊

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I guess I'll include live records to make my life a little easier.

50s:
Songs:
1. Elvis Presley - Blue Suede Shoes
2. Johnny Cash - I walk The Line
3. Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode
In the words of John lennon 'without elvis, there wouldn't be the Beatles' so can't really leave him out here. Just straight up cool rock n Roll songs and the man in black.
60s:
I'll do songs and albums for this one because the beatles take all the album spots and need some variation you know 🤣 doesn't necessarily mean that I think those are better than Beatles songs but you get the idea 😅
Songs:
1. Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds
2. Beach Boys - God Only Knows
3. Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love

Again Elvis is just phenomenal and suspicious minds is probably my favourite song by him.

Beach boys is probably my favourite 60s band after the Beatles and God only knows is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard.

Whole lotta love is just iconics that riff and the bridge before the solo 🤯

Albums:
1. The Beatles - Abbey Road
2. The Beatles - Sgt. pepper's lonely Hearts Club Band
3. The Beatles - Rubber soul

As some of you I had an accident and while I was I. The hospital all I wanted to do was listen to The Beatles, they will always have a special place in my heart for that and these are simply my 3 favourite records by The Beatles and IMHO I can't pick anything better from the 60s(hell, even something better all time is hard for me)

I could have replaced Sgt. Peper and rubber soul for pet sounds and led zeppelin 1 if I would stick to just one album let artist
70s:
Songs:
1. Queen - Love Of My Life
2. Derek & The Dominos - Layla
3. Rainbow - Gates Or Babylon
Love of My Life is such a beautiful song! I wasn't that familiar with it until I watched bohemian rhapsody and the way the crowd sang along just gives me goose bumps.

Layla is a song about George harrison's wife and whole I don't really condone that I do think it's a great song!

Gates of Babylon uses such a nice scale in it, it really just has such a nice vibe in it.
Albums:
1. Rainbow - On Stage
2. Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
3. Queen - A night At The Opera
On stage is one of my favourite live albums I've ever heard and Dio blows your socks off.

As a guitar player I think jimi hendrix is kind of mandatory to look into and for me are you experienced is my favourite.

One of my friends is a huge Queen fan so I dived in a little bit and night at the opera is just iconics, not in the last place because of bohemian rhapsody.

80s:
Songs:
1. Prince - Purple Rain
2. Iron Maiden - Rhyme Of The Ancient Mariner
3. Dire straits - telegraph road
Purple Rain is another one of my all time favourite songs, it's absolutely beautiful!

Rhyme of the ancient mariner is a prog masterpiece in my opinion. Also the fact that that song comes from an old english horror story is awesome to me!

Telegraph road just blew me away the first time I heard it the guitar solos the build up all of it.
Albums:
1. Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand The Weather
2. Iron maiden - Piece Of Mind
3. Guns N Roses - Appetite For destruction
John mayer got me hooked on SRV too. That man is a force of nature and besides his own songs which are all great there are also some jimi hendrix covers in this on that are just stellar.

If I had to pick a favourite Iron maiden record it probably would be piece of mind.

Appetite is just ridiculously good especially if you take into account the debauchery and the fact it was their debut record.
90s:
Songs:
1. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge
2. Guns N roses - Estranged
3. Megadeth - tornado of souls
Even though it's one of their popular songs I rely.love the guitar parts in under the bridge and the 'under the bridge down town' just gets me everytime

Estranged is imho one of the gnr songs you don't hear people talking a lot. I mean slash walks one water like Jesus in the music video, how cool is that!

Ever since I've heard tornado of souls I've become a big fan of marty Friedman's playing. I can honestly say it's one of my favourite solos of all time.

Albums:
1. Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power
2. Guns N Roses - Use your Illusion II
3. B.B. King Love At The Apollo

I think vulgar display of power is the only pantera studio album I actually enjoy start to finish and I love it!

I think UYI I and II are both masterpieces but for some reason I've always been more drawn to II. If the would switch my world for coma it would be perfect 😅

B.B. King just feeding your ear with blues like only B.B. can.

00s
Songs:
1. John Mayer - Gravity
2. Avenged Sevenfold - A little Piece Of Heaven
3. Velvet Revolver - Slither

Gravity is probably my desert island song, I cry, I laugh while I listen to it and especially the where the light is version is just Soo good!

A little piece of Heaven is crazy and I do really like crazy. Can you imagine writing a song about necrophilia and getting away with it?

That riff in slither man.

Albums:
1. John Mayer - where the Light is
2. Avenged sevenfold - city of evil
3. Daft Punk - Alive 2007

If you think john mayer is just a pop musician where the light is proves you wrong. The guitar playing is absolutely ridiculous, it's like somebody threw jimi hendrix, SRV, B.B. King, Albert King, Eric Clapton and some more in a blender and John came out 🤯🤯

City of Evil was my introduction to avenged sevenfold. It's adventurous and even though Syn says he doesn't like some of the hooks I kinda do like the hooks very much. It's a nice blend of some heavy stuff but also has some more catchy things and I kinda like that.

This daft punk record is kind of what opened my eyes for electronic music. I love how it says it has multiple songs but you don't really notice there are multiple songs because it's mixed so we'll.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7...i=TnfP6kUIQ4yQPvLV568OzQ&utm_source=copy-link

10s
Songs:
1. Avenged Sevenfold - Higher
2. Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk
3. The Teskey Brothers - Hold On
Higher - vocal Harmonies nuff said 😅

Uptown funk is just fun, it always gets the party going and gives me good vibes.

Teskey Brothers is a recent discovery and the singer is incredible!
Albums:
1. Avenged sevenfold - The Stage
2. John Mayer - Born and Raised
3. Slash - Apocalyptic Love
Honorable mention would be Joscho Stephan-guitar heroes

For me The stage is one of the few records that actually rival Those beatles records I mentioned earlier so couldn't actually keep it out. It's adventurous and filled with little suprises and thats great! All the changes between parts are done so well too!

Where where the light is is my john mayer guitar player album. born and Raised is my John Mayer songwriter album, a lot of beautiful songs on this one. I think he wrote this after all the backlash he rightfully got for some things he said in an interview with playboy.

Apocalyptic Love is imho Slash's greatest solo record and it just kinda rocks

Guitar Heroes is such a fun record with lots of cool gypsy jazz versions of popular songs.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6...i=akwLMU3pTa6tEBGGwzvcAA&utm_source=copy-link

I didn't really allow for a lot time to think so these are really just the first ones that came to mind. If I think too long about things like this I'll drive myself crazy so I just go for the first ones.

What are yours?

Edit:I'm trying to get into writer mode for my thesis so I figured I'd add some stories to my songs and albums. Also realized I could have mentioned mr. Bungle's self titled for the 90s but ooh well. I cheated, Jimi Hendrix passed away in 1970 🤣🤣 guess I should replace it for made in japan 😅

Last edited:

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    So I just looked through my albums and turns out, every album I consider perfect and deserving of a special spot in my heart are from the 00s :ROFLMAO:

Means my list will be a short one, ranked in no particular order:
    Linkin Park - Meteora, 2003
    John Mayer - Where The Light Is, 2008
    Trivium - Shogun, 2008

Not on my top three but still worth mentioning:
    Bullet For My Valentine - The Poison
    Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

For songs I am sure I would find some from other decades as well, but don't have the time for the research now :ROFLMAO:
    If you are familiar with those albums I would love to hear your thoughts on them!

EDIT: Another album I need to mention, because it somehow always puts me in a good mood when listening to it:
    Twenty One Pilots - Vessels, 2013 (yay, something that's not from the 00s :ROFLMAO:)

Last edited:

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    So I just looked through my albums and turns out, every album I consider perfect and deserving of a special spot in my heart are from the 00s :ROFLMAO:

Trivium - Shogun, 2008

For songs I am sure I would find some from other decades as well, but don't have the time for the research now :ROFLMAO:
    If you are familiar with those albums I would love to hear your thoughts on them!

EDIT: Another album I need to mention, because it somehow always puts me in a good mood when listening to it:
    Twenty One Pilots - Vessels, 2013 (yay, something that's not from the 00s :ROFLMAO:)
    Ooh, where the light is is always a good one. Used to listen to linkin park and bfmv a bit but haven't done so in a while tbh. There are some great songs on those records you mentioned tho

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    50s:

-
    Danny & the Juniors - At the Hop - I know this song from Mafia 2 which is my favourite video game

- The Chantels - Maybe - Another song I know from Mafia 2

- The Chordettes - Mr. Sandman - And you've guessed it, I know this song from Mafia 2 as well.

60s:

- The Beatles - Here Comes the Sun - Heard a cover of this song in a fucking Bee Movie and loved it

- Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower - Always knew the cover of this song by The Forest Rangers and only recently found out that it's actually his song 😬

- Ennio Morricone - Once Upon a Time in the West - This one has a special place in my heart. It was my grandpas favourite song and we played that at his funeral. It's still pretty hard to listen to it so i don't do it very often.

70s:

- Kraftwerk - Man Machine - My dad introduced me to them with their song Computer Love which I would put here but it's from '81. They are basically the pioneers of electronic music

- Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells - I just love how creepy the melody sounds like. Fun fact, I believe that this song was considered a pop song and then the song appeared in The Exorcist and suddenly became super creepy. (something like that, don't quote me on this :LOL:)

- Sister Sledge - He's The Greatest Dancer - Saw a video of two guys dancing to this song and I immediately liked it

80s:

- Yello - Desire - I love the solo in this song. Probably one of my favourites.

- Michael Sembello - Maniac - Another great solo and also the way he sings the word "for" is just 👌

- Dino Dvornik - Ti SI Mi U Mislima - Very recently I started listening to this song cause I'm not really a fan of croatian music but this song is fire. Over here we call him the king of funk.

90s:

-
    Bomfunk MC's - Freestyler - The anthem of my childhood

- Foo Fighters - Everlong - Probably in my top 3 favourite songs ever

- White Zombie - Black Sunshine - I heard this song over 10 years ago. Love the riff, great for headbanging although as my music taste evolved into more extreme genres now I find it too slow to headbang 😆

00s

-
    50 Cent - Many Men - 50 Cent is the artist that I started my music genre with. My neighbour gave me the Get Rich or Die Trying album back in 2007 and I fell in love with it. I would put the whole album here but I had to choose only one song. Massive 50 Cent fan over here.

- Eminem - When I'm Gone - As I became a fan of 50, I also became a fan of Em as well. Used to listen to this song on an mp4. Anyone remember what that is?

- Avenged Sevenfold - A Little Piece of Heaven - Again, another song that changed everything for me. My sister showed it to me and I couldn't believe how good it is. Soon after that a7x became my favourite band.

10s

- Two Steps From Hell - Victory - Still can't get over the fact how good it is. Also in my top 3 favourite songs.

- Mick Gordon - BFG Division - Had to put it here cause it's one of the most unique songs ever and the guy is a genius. Super heavy.

- Parkway Drive - Dark Days - Can't say I Listened to this song as much as the others but it's the song that introduced me to PWD who later become my second favourite band ever.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    I like this topic to see what your favourites are. This is my list. But it will probably change, but this is the first i can think of

70's Song
    Dont fear the reaper-Black Oyster Cult

80's album:
    Metallica-And Justice For all
    Guns n Roses - Appetite for destruction
    Nirvana Bleach

80's Song:
    Fade to Black
    One-metallica
    Nirvana: Love Buzz

90's Album
    Nirvana-Nevermind
    Bush: Razorblade Suitcase
    Silverchair: frogstomp

90's Song:
    Lithium-Nirvana
    November Rain
    Swallowed-Bush

00's Albums
    Muse-Black holes and revelations
    Nightwish: Once
    Tool-Lateralus

00's Songs:
    Tool: Schism
    Nightwish: Ghost Love Score
    Avenged: Buried Alive

10's Album
    Gojira-Magma
    Parkway Drive-reverence
    Avenged: the Stage

10's Song
    Avenged-The Stage
    Parkwat Drive-Hope you rot
    Gojira- Stranded

Last edited:

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    50s:

-
    Danny & the Juniors - At the Hop - I know this song from Mafia 2 which is my favourite video game

- The Chantels - Maybe - Another song I know from Mafia 2

- The Chordettes - Mr. Sandman - And you've guessed it, I know this song from Mafia 2 as well.

60s:

- The Beatles - Here Comes the Sun - Heard a cover of this song in a fucking Bee Movie and loved it

- Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower - Always knew the cover of this song by The Forest Rangers and only recently found out that it's actually his song 😬

- Ennio Morricone - Once Upon a Time in the West - This one has a special place in my heart. It was my grandpas favourite song and we played that at his funeral. It's still pretty hard to listen to it so i don't do it very often.

70s:

- Kraftwerk - Man Machine - My dad introduced me to them with their song Computer Love which I would put here but it's from '81. They are basically the pioneers of electronic music

- Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells - I just love how creepy the melody sounds like. Fun fact, I believe that this song was considered a pop song and then the song appeared in The Exorcist and suddenly became super creepy. (something like that, don't quote me on this :LOL:)

- Sister Sledge - He's The Greatest Dancer - Saw a video of two guys dancing to this song and I immediately liked it

80s:

- Yello - Desire - I love the solo in this song. Probably one of my favourites.

- Michael Sembello - Maniac - Another great solo and also the way he sings the word "for" is just 👌

- Dino Dvornik - Ti SI Mi U Mislima - Very recently I started listening to this song cause I'm not really a fan of croatian music but this song is fire. Over here we call him the king of funk.

90s:

-
    Bomfunk MC's - Freestyler - The anthem of my childhood

- Foo Fighters - Everlong - Probably in my top 3 favourite songs ever

- White Zombie - Black Sunshine - I heard this song over 10 years ago. Love the riff, great for headbanging although as my music taste evolved into more extreme genres now I find it too slow to headbang 😆

00s

-
    50 Cent - Many Men - 50 Cent is the artist that I started my music genre with. My neighbour gave me the Get Rich or Die Trying album back in 2007 and I fell in love with it. I would put the whole album here but I had to choose only one song. Massive 50 Cent fan over here.

- Eminem - When I'm Gone - As I became a fan of 50, I also became a fan of Em as well. Used to listen to this song on an mp4. Anyone remember what that is?

- Avenged Sevenfold - A Little Piece of Heaven - Again, another song that changed everything for me. My sister showed it to me and I couldn't believe how good it is. Soon after that a7x became my favourite band.

10s

- Two Steps From Hell - Victory - Still can't get over the fact how good it is. Also in my top 3 favourite songs.

- Mick Gordon - BFG Division - Had to put it here cause it's one of the most unique songs ever and the guy is a genius. Super heavy.

- Parkway Drive - Dark Days - Can't say I Listened to this song as much as the others but it's the song that introduced me to PWD who later become my second favourite band ever.
    All along the watchtower is actually a bob dylan song, Jimi's version is just kind of cooler 😅

I do also love freestyler, I remember that one from a bunch of parties because one dude would always want to turn it on 😅

Reactions: Filip Tomiša

Filip Tomiša

Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    All along the watchtower is actually a bob dylan song, Jimi's version is just kind of cooler 😅

I do also love freestyler, I remember that one from a bunch of parties because one dude would always want to turn it on 😅
    that just shows my knowledge of 60s music 😆.

Yeah Freestyler is THE song for parties. I could be dead asleep and if that song woke me up I'd be jamming immediately.

• Haha
    Reactions: idssdi

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I like this topic to see what your favourites are. This is my list. But it will probably change, but this is the first i can think of

70's Song

80's album:
    Nirvana Bleach

80's Song:
    Fade to Black
    One-metallica

90's Album
    Nirvana-Nevermind

90's Song:
    Lithium-Nirvana
    November Rain
    Swallowed-Bush

00's Albums
    Tool-Lateralus

00's Songs:

10's Album
    Gojira-Magma
    Parkway Drive-reverence

10's Song
    Avenged-The Stage
    Gojira- Stranded
    Absolutely agree with your 10s pickes :love: :rock-hand:

Reactions: Kim and idssdi

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
    Apr 18, 2020
    Cologne, Germany
    50s:

Songs:
    - Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode
    - Little Richard - Tutti Frutti
    - Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five

60s:

Songs:
    - Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
    - Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
    - Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze

70s:

Albums:
    - Judas Priest - Killing Machine / Hell Bent For Leather
    - Van Halen - Van Halen
    - Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Songs:
    - Judas Priest - Victims Of Changes
    - Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    - Rainbow - Stargazer

80s:

Albums:
    - Iron Maiden - Powerslave
    - Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    - Skid Row - Skid Row

Songs:
    - Slayer - Raining Blood
    - Mötley Crüe - Kickstart My Heart
    - Scorpions - No One Like You

90s:

Albums:
    - Judas Priest - Painkiller (just had to mention them a third time :ROFLMAO: )
    - Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
    - Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss

Songs:
    - Queen - The Show Must Go On
    - Metallica - Nothing Else Matters (Sorry, can't help myself)
    - The Offspring - The Kids Aren't Alright

00s:

Albums:
    - Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
    - Crashdiet - Rest In Sleaze
    - Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side

Songs:
    - Arch Enemy - Nemesis
    - Opeth - Bleak
    - Steel Panther - Death To All But Metal

10s:

Albums:
    - Dance With The Dead - The Shape
    - Unleash The Archers - Time Stands Still
    - Crazy Lixx - Forever Wild

Songs:
    - The Cruel Intentions - Accidentally Intoxicated
    - After The Burial - Lost In The Static
    - Avenged Sevenfold - Exist

Uff, that was hard. I tried to keep zero overlap between songs and albums, but I still couldn't help myself naming some bands several times. I tried to keep the lists at least somewhat representative of my actual music taste from the particular decades, but its impossible with so few spots.😅
    But yeah, this is the result, don't ask me again, because I WILL change everythig :ROFLMAO:.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    50s:

Songs:
    - Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode
    - Little Richard - Tutti Frutti
    - Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five

60s:

Songs:
    - Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
    - Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
    - Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze

70s:

Albums:
    - Judas Priest - Killing Machine / Hell Bent For Leather
    - Van Halen - Van Halen
    - Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Songs:
    - Judas Priest - Victims Of Changes
    - Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    - Rainbow - Stargazer

80s:

Albums:
    - Iron Maiden - Powerslave
    - Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    - Skid Row - Skid Row

Songs:
    - Slayer - Raining Blood
    - Mötley Crüe - Kickstart My Heart
    - Scorpions - No One Like You

90s:

Albums:
    - Judas Priest - Painkiller (just had to mention them a third time :ROFLMAO: )
    - Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
    - Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss

Songs:
    - Queen - The Show Must Go On
    - Metallica - Nothing Else Matters (Sorry, can't help myself)
    - The Offspring - The Kids Aren't Alright

00s:

Albums:
    - Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
    - Crashdiet - Rest In Sleaze
    - Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side

Songs:
    - Arch Enemy - Nemesis
    - Opeth - Bleak
    - Steel Panther - Death To All But Metal

10s:

Albums:
    - Dance With The Dead - The Shape
    - Unleash The Archers - Time Stands Still
    - Crazy Lixx - Forever Wild

Songs:
    - The Cruel Intentions - Accidentally Intoxicated
    - After The Burial - Lost In The Static
    - Avenged Sevenfold - Exist

Uff, that was hard. I tried to keep zero overlap between songs and albums, but I still couldn't help myself naming some bands several times. I tried to keep the lists at least somewhat representative of my actual music taste from the particular decades, but its impossible with so few spots.😅
    But yeah, this is the result, don't ask me again, because I WILL change everythig :ROFLMAO:.
    Your list actually made me go 'ooh yeah that one is great too' 🤣🤣 there's so many good music made river the years. Tbh, I try to not get to hung up on the overlap thing. Some bands just made a lot of good stuff(doesn't mean others don't but you know what I mean 😅)

Reactions: chris_is_cool

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK

Trivium - Shogun, 2008

My friend, where is Silver Side Up?

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Hi everyone! :)
    A little game to pass the time if you are bored.

Tell us your top 3 songs or albums from the following decades:
    50s
    60s
    70s
    80s
    90s
    00s
    10s

(You don't have to do them all, but hats off if you do!)
    You can include a YouTube or a Spotify link if you want, and go into detail if you so desire! Have fun! 😊
    This is an excellent idea!

• Love
    Reactions: AGA

70's Song

80's album:
    Nirvana Bleach

80's Song:
    Fade to Black
    One-metallica

90's Album
    Nirvana-Nevermind

90's Song:
    Lithium-Nirvana
    November Rain
    Swallowed-Bush

00's Albums
    Tool-Lateralus

00's Songs:

10's Album
    Gojira-Magma
    Parkway Drive-reverence

10's Song
    Avenged-The Stage
    Gojira- Stranded
    Love so many of these! Great choices Kim!

Reactions: Kim

Jorge Melo

• Feb 8, 2021
    Chile
    70s: Led Zeppelin IV, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish you Were Here
    80s: Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, And Justice for All
    90s: Rust In Peace, Images and Words, Metropolis Pt2: Scenes from a Memory
    00s: City of Evil, Audioslave, Train of Thoughts
    10s: Nightmare, Dystopia, Distance Over Time

I very like Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Megadeth and Dream Theater jajaja

Cooper Brady

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 2, 2020
    Augusta, Georgia
    There's no way I could pick songs, so I'm going to do albums instead.
    50s-
    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs, Marty Robbins.
    Elvis Presley, Elvis Presley
    Chuck Berry Is on Top, Chuck Berry
    60s-
    Abbey Road, The Beatles
    Let it Bleed, The Rolling Stones
    Are You Experienced?, Jimi Hendrix
    70s-
    Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd
    Blizzard of Ozz, Ozzy Osbourne
    Houses of the Holy, Led Zeppelin
    80s-
    Master of Puppets, Metallica