• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Zappa Cab IRs for Fractal

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    In honor of his pappy's 80th birthday, Dweezil Zappa and some engineers made IRs of some of Frank's classic speaker cabinets, and they're giving them away for the holidays!

Free IRs in Celebration of the 80th Birthday of Frank Zappa | Fractal Audio Systems Forum

In the spirit of the holiday season and my dad’s 80th birthday, I’ve decided to share some speaker IRs with all of my Fractal Audio friends! The cab IRs come with a unique history. The 4x12 Brit FZ - a Red fabric covered 1970s Marshall cab with 4 JBL D120 F speakers.
    4x12 VSB FZ - a Red fabric covered 1970s Vox Super Beatle with 6 JBL D120 F speakers.

The mics used to create the IRs were a vintage white Sennheiser 421, a Neuman U67 formerly owned by Freddie Mercury, and an AKG C12 formerly owned by Neil Young.

The mics were processed using the 1968 "Rolling Stones Mobile Recording Studio", famously used to record albums including Led Zeppelin III, IV, Houses of the Holy, and Physical Graffitti, as well as Machine Head by Deep Purple, Sticky Fingers by the Rolling Stones, Who's Next by The Who, and many others.

The cabs were captured by Dweezil Zappa and Matt Picone at EMEAPP outside of Philadelphia. They have been selected for humbucker guitars but also work well for single coil. All equipment in this session was used courtesy of EMEAPP (https://emeapp.org)

Enjoy the IRs and happy holidays to you and your families! Best, DZ

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/FZ-EMEAPP.zip

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Happy Birthday! I don't know what a fractal is, maybe it's like math fractions. Super cool seeing all those names, that's a lot of albums to listen to! I knew a rapper (not personally) named Stinky Fingaz! j/k I think it's just sticky, maybe he enjoyed listening to the Rolling Stones? Machine Head became a band too and the WHO became an organization, I saw the Umbrella Company is real? I think I tripped, crazy
    Happy Holidays!