• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

The Album of the year

Jamie London

GYNNER
Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Oh yeah, Ghost and Slipknot will be awesome! Don't think there's any chance of a release this year, but that makes next years line up crazy already. A7x, Ghost, Slipknot...
    Oh yeah dude, 2022 is going to be INSANE For rock and metal. I saw a list on Twitter of all the upcoming releases for the year and it was 🤯

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    This Fall was really great for Metal releases and my Album of the year was definetly one of them. Now I couldn't decide which of those would be the one best Album of this year but I thought I list my top picks and y'all could do the same or give your opinion on the topic.

So here we go:

Spiritbox - Eternal Blue
    Ice Nine Kills - Welcome to Horrorwood
    Trivium - In the Court of the Dragon
    Jinjer - Wallflower
    Bullet for my Valentine - self titled
    Seether - Si vis Pacem Parabellum
    Gojira - Fortitude

If I had to choose an order this would probably be it, although the top 3 are constantly switching. Right now my Top one would be INK. Can't wait to hear your picks! :rock-hand:

Spiritbox hit my radar a couple days ago, and so far, I really do enjoy it. I like the new INK, but I'm not sure it's enough of a departure from TSS to really be a winner for me. The new Trivium was disappointing to me at first, but more listens have brought love. I really dig that one.

New Dream Theater is, to me, their best since Scenes from a Memory. Iron Maiden's Senjutsu is great, but I think if they'd trimmed a few tunes down to make it a single album it would be better.

Twelve Foot Ninja's new album, Vengeance, is killer.

But if I'm picking an album of the year for 2021 so far, there's no contest - Between the Buried and Me: "Colors II."

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    No Mastodon? That can't be right! I haven't heard the whole album yet, but I'm guessing it's top choice for me.

For me Mastodon is a giant pile of incredible pieces that don't add up to a sum greater than the parts, and while I love the odd song here and there, I just don't love any of their albums.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Spiritbox hit my radar a couple days ago, and so far, I really do enjoy it. I like the new INK, but I'm not sure it's enough of a departure from TSS to really be a winner for me. The new Trivium was disappointing to me at first, but more listens have brought love. I really dig that one.

New Dream Theater is, to me, their best since Scenes from a Memory. Iron Maiden's Senjutsu is great, but I think if they'd trimmed a few tunes down to make it a single album it would be better.

But if I'm picking an album of the year for 2021 so far, there's no contest - Between the Buried and Me: "Colors II."
    I recently got into INK and right now it's a little hard for me to go back to other Bands. The way they combine heavy, fun, cinematic and just Epic elements in their Songs is quite unique.

Couldn't get me to Listen to much of the new Maiden, a bit too calm for me right now.

I heard the single of Twelve Foot Ninja with Tatjana from Jinjer though and loved it. So I'll put their Album on my list of stuff I need to check out!

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com

Yeah dude, Colors ll is just… wow haha
    I was a bit nervous at first, making a sequel to the almighty Colors just sounded risky to me, especially since I hadn’t dig their last two releases, but I’ll be damned if they didn’t knock it out of the park. Incredible album.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    On a serious note besides my own EP the only three I can really think of are Senjutsu by Iron Maiden, sob Rock by John Mayer and Gold diggers sound by Leon Bridges
    Wow, I totally missed your First comment 🤦
    ... Who's F!tz again? 😂
    Couldn't get into the new Mayer Album. Too poppy. Liked one of the Singles though.

• Haha
    Reactions: idssdi

Mauro FILHO

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    This Fall was really great for Metal releases and my Album of the year was definetly one of them. Now I couldn't decide which of those would be the one best Album of this year but I thought I list my top picks and y'all could do the same or give your opinion on the topic.

So here we go:

Spiritbox - Eternal Blue
    Ice Nine Kills - Welcome to Horrorwood
    Trivium - In the Court of the Dragon
    Jinjer - Wallflower
    Bullet for my Valentine - self titled
    Seether - Si vis Pacem Parabellum
    Gojira - Fortitude

If I had to choose an order this would probably be it, although the top 3 are constantly switching. Right now my Top one would be INK. Can't wait to hear your picks! :rock-hand:
    Black Label Society

Eric Kane

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Never got into Mastodon. Let me know what you think once you heard it all!
    Mastodon is definitely my favorite of the year so far. Hushed & Grim is fantastic. I've had time to really digest all of it, and I also saw them live in Nashville last week (so good - much better than I expected them to be live), and they played a lot of the new stuff. I still currently like the Emperor of Sand album better, but with H&G being a double album, there is so much to take in. Your tastes are probably a little heavier, but I would encourage you to check it out. Maybe just start with the first half though and let it sink in. Then if you like, move on to the back half. My favorite tracks are Pain With an Anchor, The Crux, Teardrinker, and The Beast, which are all in the first half, BTW.
    For me Mastodon is a giant pile of incredible pieces that don't add up to a sum greater than the parts, and while I love the odd song here and there, I just don't love any of their albums.

Ed, I feel like a lot of people feel the way you do. Maybe because there's so much going on with them - three different guys singing (many times in the same song), weird progressive stuff, at least one member that's crazy, and may actually be stoned like all the time, etc. I don't know. I do know I love a lot of what they come up with! And Emperor of Sand is one of my top 5 favorite albums.

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Mastodon is definitely my favorite of the year so far. Hushed & Grim is fantastic. I've had time to really digest all of it, and I also saw them live in Nashville last week (so good - much better than I expected them to be live), and they played a lot of the new stuff. I still currently like the Emperor of Sand album better, but with H&G being a double album, there is so much to take in. Your tastes are probably a little heavier, but I would encourage you to check it out. Maybe just start with the first half though and let it sink in. Then if you like, move on to the back half. My favorite tracks are Pain With an Anchor, The Crux, Teardrinker, and The Beast, which are all in the first half, BTW.

Ed, I feel like a lot of people feel the way you do. Maybe because there's so much going on with them - three different guys singing (many times in the same song), weird progressive stuff, at least one member that's crazy, and may actually be stoned like all the time, etc. I don't know. I do know I love a lot of what they come up with! And Emperor of Sand is one of my top 5 favorite albums.
    Definitely not that there's "too much going on." I did briefly enjoy Emperor of Sand, but not enough to keep it on repeat. Steambreather and Jaguar God stuck out for me, but I dunno, they just don't GRAB me like they should, for what they do. Something intangible is missing for me.