• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What kind of pedals do I need for the a7x sound?

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
The biggest component is going to be your amp rig. In my opinion, a nice amp is the first think you should go for to get the sound you want. You can buy a $100 guitar and put decent pickups in it and get a great sound if you have the right amp. Also knowing good EQ and gain settings is very important. And finally, as everyone always says, your hands. They way you play like having good control over your bends, picking hard or soft in the right parts, having a nice vibrato. Strengthening your fingers and getting control over all those techniques will probably have one of the biggest impacts on your tone. I do also recommend those gripmasters for hand/finger strengthening. When I havent been playing for a bit, like a week or so, and my fingers just wont do what theyre supposed to do, I use one of these for a few minutes and it gets me warmed up MUCH faster than just running guitar exercises. Idk which weight you should use personally, but I use the Heavy one.
https://www.amazon.com/GRIP-MASTER-Gripmaster-15004-Exerciser/dp/B00KH3L7KC/ref=asc_df_B00KH3L7KC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194978030532&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17694855886065455809&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1018010&hvtargid=pla-338169741074&th=1

Brian Thibodeau

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I’ll second Christopher on the amp. I don’t think you’ll be able to get the “juice” or “jam” of a good saturated tube amp with pedals, unless you go for some high-end processors like a Helix or Fractal.
The other thing to think about is if you’re going for a tone for playing by yourself, or playing with a band (or recording multiple guitar tracks, bass, drums, etc).
When I play with my band, or if I’m recording a song, I’ll use a tone that has focused mids, low treble and low bass. It cuts through the mix. This tone though, by itself, doesn’t sound very metal. It sounds thin.
When I’m just practicing along to a metronome or drum track, I use a tone that has lots of bass, still more focused mids and I turn up the treble a bit, just to make it more pleasing to my ears.
So yeah, I’m guessing that wasn’t the answer you were looking for. If you just play by yourself, on the cheap side, you can go with a Boss GT-1 or Line 6 Firehawk. They are cool little multi-effects and with the proper amount of time put in to build a patch, you can get something sweet out of them. I think the Firehawk is bluetooth too, so you can tweek your patches with a mobile app.
Cheers

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I use a combination of a GLX distortion and an equaliser with boosted mids in front of it for my rhythm. Also some reverb. For my lead tone I add a mojo mojo overdrive and a delay(sometimes the delay is on aswell for the rhythm because I forgot to turn it off) this is basically a description of the tone I use when I play Metal and it works when I play along to A7x too!

Synner Endless Summer Collection