• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Alternate VS Economy Picking

Jake Young

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
For the first 15 years of my playing, I focused on mainly alternate picking the speedy type licks. It wasn’t until about 3 years ago when I watched Syn’s masterclass that I learned about the economy technique. Once I got it down my speed increased 10 fold. It’s tricky now to do strict alternate picking. Should I go back and revisit the alternate style and use a nice mix of both?
I think the obvious answer would be yes, to be well versed in both. But I’m curious what others think

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Personally I in some weird way have always used economy picking. Ithe camera Pretty naturally to me especially when i have to go to the next string. So i would say since i always thought economy picking is kind of a way to mix sweep picking and alternate picking you can Just keep at it

Ireneusz Skorupa

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I’m not sure if sticking just to economy is a good idea. Some players tend to say that entering the school of economy picking is a trap, and one day you might want to alt-pick and just won’t be able to do it as fast as you want because you’ve got so addicted to economy. And there definitely is reason to sometimes choose alternate picking above economy! Alternate picking is much more aggressive in it’s sound and strikes your ear, while economy is softer, kind of flowing, unless you’re just capable of playing economy and make it sound as striking as alt. I recommend you watching this video by Rick Graham on how to utilize both techniques and switch between them whenever you want: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU01A7rNMRI
Tension control is pure gold.

Synner Endless Summer Collection