• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar Help a dude with his first pedal setup?

Andrew Chung

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Currently, I have a Schecter Omen Extreme-6 going into an Orange Crush 20 (not the RT version). The only accessory I have for the setup is an Orange footswitch to change between the amp's clean and dirty channels, and honestly, it stays on the dirty setting except when tuning.
I really want to get a noise gate to deal with the extra noise that comes with high gain. For that, I'm thinking the Donner Noise Killer would work. I'd also like to get a Digitech Drop to play in more tunings without extra setup or gear.
Two questions:
  1. All the videos I've seen suggest putting both those effects before distortion. If the amp is handling the distortion internally, that counts as coming after the effects, right? My logic is that it's guitar → pedal → pedal → amp (with distortion circuitry), but maybe I'm way off. Total noob here.
  2. Second, any recommendations for the pitch shifter? I know the Drop is good, but it isn't cheap. I'm not looking for an octave pedal, nor a vibrato-ish pedal—just semitones. I'll buy the Drop if that's really the best option, but if I can save money, obviously that's preferable.
Thanks in advance for the input!

Xzavier471

Music Theory Bragger
May 24, 2020
Don't know much about pedal chains and the order they're supposed to be in but I personally suggest buying a Line 6 HDPOD500x , it has pretty much every pedal you could want and is very useful for someone who is still trying to find their own sound or just constantly change tones without spending all that extra money. Just a thought!

Upvote 0

hunte25

Garage band Groupie
  • May 15, 2022
    Look at the boss harmonist pedal I think it has the option to make a whammy bar up or down at least according to its demo video it’s way cheaper than digitechs drop pedal but I’d go with the drop pedal for if you only want a good drop tuning sound

Attachments

• 04D21FA3-10C2-46B3-8C4A-13246D441268.jpeg
      04D21FA3-10C2-46B3-8C4A-13246D441268.jpeg
      63.9 KB · Views: 59
    Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Alright, I'm not about to buy a new amp for this. Thanks Ed

Put the noise gate first, and unless you're going for djent tightness, set the threshold so it barely closes the gate when you roll the guitar's volume down to off. IMO. Of course, you would only use it that way on dirty tones.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Look at the boss harmonist pedal I think it has the option to make a whammy bar up or down at least according to its demo video it’s way cheaper than digitechs drop pedal but I’d go with the drop pedal for if you only want a good drop tuning sound
    That pedal looks neat and also overwhelming to me xD

• Haha
    Reactions: hunte25
    Upvote 0

Andrew Chung

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks for the input, but doesn't seem to be what I'm after at the moment. I just want to be able to play in more than E standard and Drop D without messing with my guitar setup or buying more guitars. If I ever need something like the PS-6, I'm sure I'll keep it in mind

Upvote 0