• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Learning multiple songs at once

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
Do you guys suggest learning one thing at a time or does it matter? I have been dying to learn the solo to afterlife, and I’ve got the notes down to the first part of it but not the speed yet. Even though it has been 2 weeks of playing it SUPER slow…I’ve also been trying to play the alternate picking 6 exercise, and the intro to hail to the king. I know its a lot. When I sit down to play, so many thoughts and desires to learn things go through my head and I just feel like I get absolutely nothing accomplished when I practice. And it’s frustrating. Help

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
Taking on an entire solo is a lot of work! Even simple solos require a lot of memorization because you don’t want to neglect nuance such as feel, vibrato, embellishments, etc.
I’d take on only one solo at a time and space them out to work on single licks and technique/exercises in between. The one or two constants would be to consistently study theory and play to backing tracks applying the new licks and the most familiar pieces of the solo you’re working on to really get them down. That’s how you engrain them in your brain and muscle memory.
Hope this helps!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
It is sometimes nice to break from practicing doing something else but the best way to do that is by just playig stuff that you already know. Learning a solo(and especially memorizing) take time so doing 3 different solos at once is just going to confuse you really. Personally I’m pretty much like learn a song and start learning another song when you can actually play the song properly. And as Syn daid like 15-30 minutes technique exercises in between is also fine. Just try to not try to learn to many complete songs at once. Hope this helps

Chris Robertson

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I once filled in for a cover band, luckily just rhythm guitar and my friend needed me to fill in for them because their usual guitarist wasn’t around for the gig. So had to learn 25 out of the 30 songs in 5 days while still going to work.
For sure learning every song was tough at the same time. Made plenty mistakes at the gig but turned out alright in the end. Landed up becoming a permanent member for 2 years every weekend. The 2nd weekend was loads better with another 7 extra days to practice those songs. I dont recommend it. Much better to take your time because like Syn said, you lose the details in the song and it took many more than the extra 7 days to start getting all the details into the songs even just for the rhythm sections let alone solo’s. Luckily most people don’t notice the details with a full band.