• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Music as a cinematic experience

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Here’s an interesting topic to talk about. The way I listen to music is imagining a movie and the accompanying song/album being a soundtrack to that movie. I’m sure I’m not the only one who listens to music this way. And Avenged being so theatrical, with so many twists and turns, and with those epic, gothic orchestral arrangements, pretty much every Avenged album feels like a cinematic experience to me.
But I’m going to name some albums and the way I envision imagery in my head when I listen to those albums, and I’m interested too see what kind of things others think about when listening to some particular albums.
Waking the Fallen by Avenged Sevenfold: Listening to this albums feels like being at a haunted house, or in a graveyard, full of cobwebs and eerie things. Basically, it’s Nightmare Before Christmas as a metal album.
Shogun by Trivium: This album is a majestic tale of samurais and mythical creatures. It’s like I’m transported back to feudal Japan and am witnessing warriors clashing with beasts.
Blackwater Park by Opeth: I suddenly wake up in a muddy swamp, and everything feels so bleak (no pun intended). I’m experiencing total isolation and everything feels cold and dead.
In the Nightside Eclipse by Emperor: I find myself as a character in one of Tolkien’s works, and I behold the battles of Middle Earth, so it’s like The Lord of the Rings as a metal album.
Unto the Locust by Machine Head: The first thing I think about listening to this album is obviously the video to the “Locust” song, with a swarm of locusts destroying everything, but I just envision a very gloomy, cloudy weather and it feels like a storm is approaching.
Yep. My levels of imagination are pretty fucking high lol.