• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

My Weekly Guitar Tip/Practice TipšŸ˜Š

J

Jak Angelescu

Hey there guys, and dolls! This is just something you all know I like to do, so here it is! Feel free to add your own!
I STILL practice Hail To The King. Still. And thereā€™s a part where thereā€™s a LONG slide up that I lead with my pinky without the other fingers being down. The definite point I slide to has release to another finger, and it was always kind of choppy. Well, one thing I notice about Synā€™s playing is no matter WHAT heā€™s doing with his pinky, whether it be a bend or a slide, the preceding fingers are ALWAYS down, one fret per finger.
Itā€™s a concept I learned in classical guitar. I tried to apply this, and it was a little difficult to slide that way at first but ultimately itā€™s gotten better AND that choppy part is a lot easier and smoother.
Also, by accident I ended up practicing and looked at something else other than my fingers. As you practice, try to only look at your hand when absolutely necessary and let your eyes meander elsewhere during a more stable part. The reason why, is that for some reason I was able to hear and FEEL where things sounded more off-time, not as smooth, a little fumbly, and not my strongest point. Try to pay more attention to how your playing FEELS and SOUNDS instead of trying to focus on what it ā€˜looks likeā€™.
So my tips for the week, simply put, are try to keep all preceding fingers down where applicable for bends/slides to help encourage bending strength, control, and release efficiency for slides. And try not gazing at your fingers like your life depends on it. Try relaxing and trusting that you know what youā€™re doing to feel and hear what youā€™re playing really sounds like. It may help pinpoint some sloppy parts or things you should work on!
My practice tip: Donā€™t overwhelm yourself. My practicing sessions included roughly 4-6 hours of nearly 6 different things with these said things alternating between each day. Allow yourself to pace yourself and improve on fewer things at a time. For example, I spend only 20 minutes a day three times a week on HTTK solo and it took me MONTHS to progress. I wanted to cram so much in, I didnā€™t really evolve with anything. But when I improved 30% BPM rate in ONE DAY was when I sat down and focused on it for several hours at time.
I personally believe ā€˜less is moreā€™ is a great adage to apply to practicing. Practice LESS things for LONGER times and improve GREATER, more efficiently, and in less time.
ALSO: Captain Ed added a video lesson in the forum ā€œLessons Of Techniques and Styles of Playā€ and he covers some cool tricks for guitarists like how to do whammy tricks and more. So check it out! I found it super helpful!
Between writing for our album and real estate school, my brain is SO fried. I hope everyone is well! Remember to be kind to yourself when you practice. Be patient. And enjoy it! šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š
Much love to my fellow Synners! Weā€™ve had some new joiners so thatā€™s an awesome thing!!šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
London
www.youtube.com
I think I got my unholy confessions cover almost perfect with the guitar but because I put my auto tuned vocals over some people took it for granted and only commented how bad the vocals were, kinda sucked cause it was really good I spent literally hours on that cover so yes its good to strive for perfection.