• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What else do you use to learn other than the SGS?

Ben Thorpe

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Obviously I, and all of you, use this website to practice, but what else do you use to help you learn? I had a guitar instructor for several months which had to be cancelled due to a recent move, I’ve tried books when I first started, I used a free app in the beginning, and I use other websites such as YouTube, Songsterr (for tabs) and I’ve used Guitar Tricks (although not that much as you have to pay for it). I’d be interested to know what other resources you use, and I might check them out if I haven’t heard of them. 🙂 (P.S. Don’t interpret this as me saying I’m looking for something BETTER than the SGS to move to. That is NOT the case!)

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
I have a classical guitar instructor, been studying with him since July. He’s teaching me scales, chords and all the other basic things. As for other stuff, I just YouTube “How to play…”, and that’s how I learn a riff or two. I’m also noodling on my own (mainly trying to learn how to tremolo pick, to get dem evil trve kvlt riffs!), and that usually sounds pretty bad, but hey. 😛

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I’ve used the MTC (Musician’s Training Center) from Micrologus.com to be a great tool. I can build play-along or scale exercises, and it adjusts the tempo to build speed. I went a lot of years not playing, or playing very little, and this tool was instrumental (no pun intended) in helping me get back up to speed, so to speak.
    It’s also a great daily tool to program warmups into and stuff like that.
    Then there’s the Amazing Slow Downer, Ultimate Guitar tabs, etc. YouTube videos – man, there’s so much great stuff out there now that didn’t exist when I was a kid learning. I had to order Metal Method by mail – took 2 months, and you got some photocopied pages and a cassette with a hand-written label. Also had some badly done TAB books (The original Iron Maiden one was awful). Even the VHS tapes like Rock Discipline didn’t exist yet, and wouldn’t for another ten years.
    You kids today have it easy! Get off my lawn! j/k.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I use youtube and DC music school for Gypsy Jazz. Besides that I just use Ultimate guitar and tabbooks and other sources when I properly want to learn a song. Besides those sources I just kinda use this website for technique and theory related stuff

Bianca Long

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I have a friend who is a street musician/performer who is teaching me the basics, I use Rocksmith (xbox360) which is fun and I read a few books. I also downloaded an app but havent really used it. I only restarted about a week ago after not playing for 8 years (got pregnant, couldnt hold a guitar anymore 😀 ) so Im basically a total noob.

Synner Endless Summer Collection