• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What's your practice routine?

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    This is one of the questions I always find interesting to ask.
    Practice is important, but efficient practice is much more important.
    You're wasting time if you're doing it wrong or are not enjoying(!) it.

My latest practice routine I actually do every once in a while for example is more warmup based.
    I use a metronome and let it speed up by 1bmp per xbars.
    I start with sixteenth notes, followed by triplets to 8th notes. I switch when the tempo becomes too fast for me to follow it well. I use varies 1234 patterns but scales would be better, combined with licks and riffs I want to improve.
    I alternate between different techniques as well and I have rhythm practice sheets catching dust somewhere. (I recommend those though, I'll post a link if I can find it back later. )
    Edit: https://www.samuelstokesmusic.com/rhythm.html

The ideal practice is more musical. That's where theory comes in play and where the wall is in sight. (Keys, scales, chordprogression, chord tones/voicings etc)
    I understand theory, but actually putting it in practice is another thing. I've seen people practicing one key/scale a week and I've had other people tell me to become familiar with one sound before moving on to others.

How do you combine it? What's your routine?

Ps. This post is much longer than intended. It's all I have to say for now, maybe I'll come up with even more words later. 😅

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ezequiel Romanko

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    My practice routine honestly mostly consist of noodling, Lots of noodling. It can be in a scale I like or just messing around with chords. It helps me find stuff I like.

Than the more dedicated practice is more aimed towards learning songs I enjoy to learn and analysing the parts I really like so I can steal something from it.

Reactions: Kai C and Lindsey

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    My practice routine honestly mostly consist of noodling, Lots of noodling. It can be in a scale I like or just messing around with chords. It helps me find stuff I like.

Than the more dedicated practice is more aimed towards learning songs I enjoy to learn and analysing the parts I really like so I can steal something from it.
    I learn a lot through playing songs as well. I just need to start warming up before it.

Rute Rodrigues

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    First I warm up, I put a metronome in something like 140bpm and then I do alternate picking, tremolo picking, eco picking and I started practicing sweeps now too. Then I practice the song that I'm playing at the moment, or practice an specific exercises. Then I always jam.

Reactions: Lindsey
    Synner Endless Summer Collection