• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Adjust Floyd Rose height on my Syn Custom S

Mathias Goergen

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Dear Synners!
I’m searching for recommendations how to correctly adjust the Floyd rose height ( = String Action) in my Schecter Syn Custom S.
I’m familiar with adjusting my Floyd Rose when changing strings, but adjusting height is still an issue for me. My question is: Do you remove strings and loosen the springs at the trem block before adjusting it? After doing that, I find it hard adjusting height without having the strings on for an optical comparison. If I don’t remove strings and tighten/loose the bolts in the body, will I damage my trem’s edges that push against the bolts in the guitar body? I hope it’s understandable, as english is not my native language I find it hard to describe, especially when it comes to the names of the Floyd parts. Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments, the high string action currently makes me not wanna grab my guitar 🙁
Greetings from Germany, Mathias 🙂

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Greetings, Mathias!
    There are many purists who will insist that you MUST loosen everything to make the adjustments. My experience is that once this particular height is set how it should be (as low as possible without buzz above fret 15, and no dead spots when bending), it doesn’t need adjustment often – maybe a couple times a year, if that.
    I’ve got some Ibanez with Floyds that I taught myself how to setup on, and they’re over 25 years old. The knife edges are fine, despite a decent bit of “butchering” in the beginning. To this day, I make these adjustments without loosening strings and springs.
    Your mileage may vary. Consult your physician if adjustments are made more than every four hours. 🙂