• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Anxiety while… choosing music?

mericksonmusic

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Feb 21, 2021
Wheeling, Il
www.instagram.com
So this has been something on my mind for a long time. Lately I haven’t been able to truly expand my listening habits. I’m worried I’m “listening to the wrong thing” to get to be the best guitarist/musician I can be, so I default to albums I know and love but never find new music. It has led to me being undereducated even if I have a music degree. Has anyone had this? How did you get out of it?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    It's not about what you listen to specifically. It's about having broad musical interests and listening habits. There are a LOT of genres and subgenres out there. Explore them all. You will absorb SOMETHING from each of them without even knowing it, and that will help shape you into a rounded musician.

Bonus points if you LEARN stuff from as many of those genres as possible.

Upvote 0

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Listen to as much stuff as you can. Like #EdSaid(tm) it doesn't matter what you listen to specifically. The more you hear, the more you can absorb things that other people do, and in turn find what other people do that you already do. Something I use a bit is in Spotify, there is a "<Insert Band Here> Radio". That lets me hear stuff which is in the same genre as the band might know it branches off a bit. Then I'll wander into some other <Band> Radio. Other times I'll just pick a genre and just choose some random playlist.

Upvote 0

Al7eX

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Apr 16, 2022
    I have the same problem. I almost made second nature to click on Stand Up and Scream by Asking Alexandria about every day so I know how you feel. The radio thing is probably the best solution. For example, I like Asking Alexandria so I typed the radio for it (unfortunately nothing on Apple Music😩) and I found paranoia by A Day to Remember. Also the thread “What are you currently listening to?” You can also find new music there.

Upvote 0

Alexander

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    AZ
    Or you could get metal, lounge music, light jazz, ragtime, and several other genres all in one song if you listen to Twelve Foot Ninja.

Weird that i come across this! I just got into listening to Twelve Foot Ninja last night. Showed up on my Spotify playlist after listening to Great Old Ones by Pathways.

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection