• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Coming Back And Wanting To Catch Up

JakAngelescu

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Aug 12, 2022
Hey everyone, how have you all been?

I know it's been like, over a month since I've posted. @Christian Schulze and I had done a few of the Worlds Collide chats and we're going to continue to do them, but man I needed a break for a while. I've been really sorting my life out. It's weird what happens when things kind of finally start falling into place. I haven't played guitar much at all because I've been so busy working on my book, among other personal things. But I've noticed that there are a LOT of new faces here, and still some old ones!

So I just wanted to ask the newer students to introduce themselves, and also seeing what the alumnis have been up to here.

Much love everyone!

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Hey man, I've grown to realize (particularly over the last 3 months in particular) just how important those breaks are. Life will occasionally shit hammer you with things to do/to get done and knowing what to focus on and what to leave for a better time is an invaluable skill. I'm happy to hear things are finally falling into place for you dude!

As for myself, I've kinda been trying to make my way out of a plateau after a particularly rough past couple of months. Getting back into picking the guitar up everyday even if it's just for half an hour. I've been back on here more again lately, going through a few particular lessons to work on tightening up. I've also been checking out RiffHard the last few days as they just merged with URM so I've gotten access to that which has been awesome to check out. The last few months I've been trying to improve my singing/learning how to do distorted vocals which has been... rough at times lmao. The goal being for me to start working on singing and playing at the same time like James Hetfield, Matt Heafy, Joe Duplantier, etc. Been a learning experience to say the least but I've made a touch bit of progress. And progress is progress at the end of the day I guess lol.

Glad to see you back again Jak, hope you've been doing well!

Andrew Chung

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hey, it's good to see you again!

You once commented on a post (holy shit that was three YEARS ago??) I made while I was still in undergrad. I'm proud to say I finally completed my degree this past winter. Still looking for a job, but hey, a win's a win. Got myself a magenta Schecter Omen Extreme-6 and a Crush 20 to celebrate, and I've been loving it

I've been starting to learn basic music theory as well as learning some different styles of playing, mainly jazz, prog and funk, to expand my improv.
    Not sure if you've seen my recent post in the "Advanced Techniques & Theory" forum, but check out the site I mention there. It might be useful to have bookmarked

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Hey Jak, hope all is well on your end!

I've not been on Synner much recently admittedly, as I've been absolutely slammed week to week with my Teaching business.

However since my old Indie band ended I've started another project with my best friend and I've been writing A LOT of metal again (which feels great!) It's very LIBAD/SOAD/Biffy Clyro inspired, so the tunes take some really fun left turns at times. A Project which I'm fronting vocally too, so learning a lot about that 😊

Reactions: Donovan Etue