• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Getting used to drop tunings

Andrew Chung

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Yesterday, an Amazon order arrived with my first pedals, a Donner noise gate and the Digitech Drop—a huge thank you to those who chimed in on the thread here, by the way. Had a very fun time trying out the Drop for songs in Drop C# and Drop C, such as playing rhythm to "Hail to the King" without pitch-shifting the recording—so much fun! But what tripped me up was finding notes for some other songs I'm still working on, like one that could be played in Drop D (which I was doing), but is technically in Drop C#.

I'm going to guess I'm going to have to re-learn the fretboard to some extent for each tuning. Any tips, aside from going through the process for learning it the first time in E Standard? I really want to stick to standard notation as much as possible and stay away from simply using tab as a crutch.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Most guitarists - at least rock and metal guitarists - still think in terms of E or Drop D, unless they go down as far as baritone tuning (B). In other words, even if the guitar is tuned to D standard (1 whole step down), they still think of this as an E power chord:

x
    x
    x

Even though sonically, it's a D. IIRC, for most its the same when they use a capo.

Reactions: Xzavier471