• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How to find people to jam with when you don't know anyone?

Maisie Watson

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hi all!
Just wondering if anyone has advice as to how to meet like minded musicians? I play guitar for songwriting purposes and for fun, but my main instrument is actually the drums! I’ve had this problem for years of not being able to meet people to play with and it can often be a little discouraging, seeing as I want to pursue this wild machine as a career!
Thanks!!!

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Man, you just have to go out and meet people haha. If I was able to find a community of musicians in my shithole town of 40K residents, I’m sure you can do it as well. Going to shows is the best opportunity for meeting someone to jam with. Just try to connect with people from your area.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Peter Mrozik

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
See if there is a School of Rock in your area. I was a part of one in Florida before I moved to New York and I’m planning to join one in New York when things settle down. They all have their own way of running things so the one near you might be different but the one I went to had an adult program. We had a music director and he compiled a 20+ song setlist (with our inputs) and different people were on different songs. We met every Wednesday for 2 hours and at the end of the 3-4 month season, we performed in front of a live crowd (the school arranged the shows). I played both guitar and drums and it was one of the best experiences and I learned so much from it. It didn’t only improve my playing but taught me how to play with others and how to stay on the same page even if we’re just learning a song.
Here are some songs we’ve done (including Seize The Day and Gunsliger where I got an opportunity to play lead guitar… not well but I tried my best!):

Julian Barton

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
The absolute best way to find people to jam with in my opinion is to go to an open mic night or a local concert venue where local bands play. Network at these events by playing if possible like at an open mic but also just talk to people if you are there to listen. I have found that when you talk to people about music they will get very excited. This will allow you to make new friends and increase your talent with your guitar by learning from other people.