• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How to lift the fingers ''less'' when playing??

Panos Mrz

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hello everyone, first time posting here! From what i’ve observed from my playing and what my guitar teacher used to tell me,I have the tendency to lift my fingers far enough from the fretboard ,mostly in speedy runs (from sweeping to alt pickng etc.) where my left hand technique is less conscious, which leads to less clean sound and maybe compromises in speed.Any tips or methods to get rid of that habit?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Very common problem, and one I have as well, and still haven’t taken the time (and discipline) to rectify.
    It’s all about the speed, and how much of it you can get RID of. Start super-duper-crazy SLOW, and be very conscious of lifting each of your fingers as LITTLE as possible, minimizing your movements, being explicitly conscious of it every single second. When you have it down, slowly increase the speed. It should probably take a few months to get up to a decent speed if you really want to do it right.
    I can’t manage the self-discipline, but that’s what it takes.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    The pinky tends to be a problem for a lot of people. You can try to practice by using your pinky a lot. For example if you play the 12th and 13th fret of the high E string try to use your ring finger and pinky for it. Also try to use your pinky a lot while playing might help

Panos Mrz

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    well you can try to get rid of it before it becomes a permanent habit in your playing.After a few years of playing, I found myself playing yesterday reaaally slow with a metronome all the licks and solos I mostly play and found it extremely difficult to do that for a long period of time.But in the end, that’s what it takes,patience and discipline and the result will be worth it.

Synner Endless Summer Collection