• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

MUSIC THEORY - Lesson 1 - Musical alphabet

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    I'm surprised you did not name this thread "Anyone here know their ABCs?"

1. Topics of discussion
    2. Musical alphabet

1. Topics of discussion

In this thread, we are going to discuss about how notes are notated, so as to know how to call them by their names. So, let's have some fun.

2. Musical alphabet

When it comes to music, there aren't really a lot of notes for you to remember. In actuality, there are only seven names (or letters, as you will shortly see) that you need to remember. And while these notes can take many shapes and forms, their name doesn't really change. The only thing that changes is how we hear them.

Getting back to the topic on hand, we have 7 different notes and they have 2 different names. One comes from classic music theory and the other one I believe is a more modern one, a simplified version.

So, the 7 magical notes are as follows:

• Do (C)
    • Re (D)
    • Mi (E)
    • Fa (F)
    • Sol (G)
    • La (A)
    • Si (B) - this one may also be known as Ti
    Some of you may be wondering why the A note starts this whole alphabet. The reason is quite simple. The A note is the note which is used as the base for computing the tuning of all instruments. We'll get a bit into this in the next thread, but suffice it to say that the middle A note, which is known as A4, has a frequency of 440Hz and all other note frequencies are calculated based on this value alone.

That about covers it for this thread. Next time around, we are going to talk about musical pitch and frequencies in order to understand how we perceive notes.

P.S. as a fun fact, I was listening to the Wish You Were Here cover and Acid Rain songs by our favorite band and my 2 year old loves Syn's guitar playing so much he said he wants a Syn model guitar so he can learn to play guitar on it.