• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Open and Closed-Back cabinets

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    A short time ago, someone was asking about the difference between open back and closed back cabinets. I don't remember who it was, or if I answered clearly enough, but I came across this article in my inbox today. It's from Crutchfield (the car stereo people) and they're talking about the difference between sealed and ported subwoofers, and it struck me that the concepts were kind of the same, so I thought I would share it.

Personally, as far as subs go, I like the sealed ones. I want my bass punching me in the gut and going away immediately. What about you?

Reactions: idssdi

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Interesting! I have always preferred subs to be sealed. If I'm playing something beefy - like a Marshall, Bogner, etc., I obviously prefer sealed - esp if playing Drop D with a Les Paul so the low end doesn't get flabby. Conversely, if I'm doing pop or country with a Strat or Tele, I prefer an open back cab (like a Fender Deluxe or a Roland JC-120) which actually helps with the low end ambience and beefs up the 10 inch speakers.
    Thanks for sharing!