• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tapping: pushing downwards or pulling upwards?

D K

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Belgium
What would be the best option for doing pull-offs with tapping, to pull away upwards or to push away downwards?
When i’m tapping I usually use my middle finger and push away downwards, Syn seems to do this aswell in the “Syn’s etudes”. But in more advanced tapping techniques where you use multiple fingers of the picking hand you need to do hammer-ons and pull-offs like with your fretting hand. This is much harder to do when pushing downwards rather than pulling upwards.
So, would it be better to make it a habit right from the start to do tapping pull-offs by pulling upwards?

Seth Duval

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I never tried multiple fingers but i tap with my middle finger so i can still hold the pick and jump tight back to it. Id say tap downwards since its juat like doing a hammer/pull off where you usually tap downwards.

D K

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Belgium
simple example:
E|–5–h12–p5–h12–p5–h12–p5–
B|——————————–
G|——————————–
D|——————————–
A|——————————–
E|——————————–
where the 5th fret is done with your fretting hand and 12 is by tapping. Is it better to perform those pull-offs from 12 to 5 by pushing your tapping finger towards the floor or by pulling off towards the ceiling? Sorry if this still isn’t clear, I don’t know how to explain it better.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Kent Lindsay

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I tap with my middle and ring finger (and with my index if not using a pick) and always push downwards. In my opinion this is the easiest way to do it. That said there is no hard rule on which is the correct way to do it. If it feels more natural to pull upwards I can’t see any reason why it would be a bad thing to do it that way.