• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Troy Grady's Pickslanting!

Isaac Moss

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Hey guys just thought I’d post about something that I’m currently working on implementing into my playing. If you haven’t heard of pickslanting it’s essentially the only way to truly be able to alternate pick anything. It’s a secret technique that all the pros developed by accident including: Yngwie, Michael Angelo Batio, Paul Gilbert and Steve Morse. It’s essentially a combination of wrist flexion and supination that makes the pick angled upwards or downwards making it much easier to cross strings and avoid hitting them at higher speeds. I developed downward pickslanting by accident actually which makes it easy to cross strings after upstrokes but harder switching after downstrokes so the solution is two way pickslanting which is a combination of upwards and downwards. Upwards works the opposite of downwards. I’m currently working developing two way pickslanting by playing scales really really slowly and watching my wrist like a hawk. I also think Syn uses it too because of the way his hand seems to be flexing and supinating in the alternate picking etudes. Also Papa Gates mentioned downward pickslanting in one of the clips on here but doesn’t directly call it that, but he understood the principle of it! Yeah so I’d for sure suggest Troy Grady’s videos on pickslanting if you’re an avid alternate picker!!

Reactions: William B.

Renne Haapanen

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Finland
bit.ly
Hello.
I’ve been trying to find a post talking about Troy Grady stuff. I’m glad that I found yours. Looks like not many people talk about this since nobody has even replied to you before me.
Upward pickslant was more natural for me for some reason, but I learned two-way since nothing beats it.
I payed attention to the same thing in Papa Gates’ video. He talked about the same stuff a little, but it’s one of those things that the pros tend to learn with enough hours is why he didn’t call it pickslanting, I guess.
I really wish Troy would take Syn as a guest. Event though there might be nothing new in his picking style, Syn has got to be one of the top alternate pickers. He does use two-way pickslanting, but he also uses economy a lot. You can see his pick turning at the close-up videos of Syn’s Etudes. Syn has amazed me with his purity of playing since I’ve known him and it would definitely be a worthy episode. Oh and not to mention that he does some next level tapping. Maybe Troy should record The Stage multi-finger tapping-part? It seems to confuse a lot of people.
I recommend Troy Grady’s videos for the players who come across this secret. It’s literally a logical secret on how to pick fast, it’s crazy and changed my life.
Many people that I know have heard of Troy, but never looked more into it because it seems so complicated at first. It’s not complicated, nothing is complicated if you take look closer.
-Renne from Finland

Gopal Behera

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hi Guys,
I was going through some of the Alternate Picking etudes of Synyster Gates. I could see that he is using pronated wrist movements thereby facilitating upward pick slanting at all times. If he is doing odd number of notes per string patterns, then he should be doing two-way pick slanting. But I couldn't see it. I may be wrong. Can anyone clarify?
-Gopal from India