• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Thumping and slapping that string like a boss

Ireneusz Skorupa

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I’ve fallen in love with that thumping technique you can hear in “An Infinite Regression” intro by Animals As Leaders.
My problem is virtually that I have no clue on how to begin practicing it. I had tried a bit of slapping on a bass guitar before, but thumping on a 6-string electric guitar is a completely different story. Is anyone capable of explaining a bit of this mystery to me (and anyone curious)? I’m in need of information, for instance, how high above the strings my right wrist should be, which part of the thumb I’m supposed to use to hit the string and, which might turn out to be the most important, what kind of tone I need for the sound to be satisfying. Should I use a clean tone? Maybe a bit of crunch would be good?

Ireneusz Skorupa

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I’ve seen both videos with Tosin from Kevin, and tried thumping in it’s own, raw form with my unprepared fingers and found that extensive finger playing, like the one shown by John Mayer on the video send by Ids, especially including your thumb, is essential. This is the best form of initiation to thumping and advanced slapping. It should have been obvious to me 😐
I’m training my right wrist to be able to kind of alternate pick the low E string with my thumb. It’s pretty good for making you instinctively adjust the height of your right wrist above the string. Hybrid picking also seems to help, so you can pretty much train two things at the same time. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.