• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

tips for beginners of alternate picking on 3 notes per string patterns

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Argentina
hey buddies this is simple but efective way to learn alt-picking with 3 notes per string and for make excercise not boring, the first thing is to learn the technique super SLOW this is because otherwise you will develope a bad habits and believe me you don’t want it, then once you got it increase a little bit the metronome, yes if don’t have metronome it won’t work cause it will develope your internal tempo and your ear, but don’t worry if you don’t have one there are infinities of apps and programs for phones and pc’s and for free, but when we speed up to an actually fast speed (not ballistic or above human beings like syn) like sixteenths on 90 or more bpm you can’t really follow the movement of right hand so you may be doing it wrong in certain places so here’s the magical tip i learned recently: its that if you start with a downstroke on the sixth string in a pattern of 3 notes per string you will hit always a downstroke on the first note of every pair string i mean the 6-4-2 strings and always an upstroke on every non pair string or the 1-3-5 string, and it will happen the same way when you’re going down and up on the pattern, do you get it? so focus on that everytime you practice alternate on 3 notes per string patterns and then you will feel the movement of your right hand at high speed and will develope and accurate and almost perfect technique . and cuz your brain will be focused on that you’ll not get bored at low-medium speeds 🙂 i hope it helps anyone who’s learning or relearning this technique 🙂 if anyone doesn’t understand this i’ll made a video explaining it better 🙂

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I’m a little confused here. If you do 3 notes per string and start with a down stroke wouldn’t it be more effective to economy pick everything? That’s what I do anyway. That will also mean you don’t have to think about either inside or outside picking.

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Argentina
yeah ids i do the same way but this is related to beginners or people trying to practice alternate, so obviously it will be better to do eco but since is way more harder or at least for me it’s was more harder than everyother technique i learned to this day haha. so the tips is only for people who wants to play alternate