• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tips for The Stage intro tapping? Reduce noise! (Too much)

Benjamin Bencik

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
So I have the string damper but I’m afraid of using it because for example Synyster doesn’t use it live either and It can be done without a string damper but I’ just do not know how sometimes my strings ring or a note doesn’t ring because I accidentally mute it because I don’t know how to mute correctly when tapping. I only have problems when I do the fast fills.

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
The chris zoupa tutorial is really good. Some players use a hair band close to nut so that you can easily slide it across the nut along the neck.
It just needs a swift touch to get it on/off strings. Syn does not use it may be cuz….he is THE syn.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
There is another way for avoiding the string noise. usually the open strings ring when the tapping finger accidentally touches strings other than the desired one. usually the tapping finger moves almost perpendicularly to the strings. make the movement as parallel to the desired string as possible. This will reduce the intensity of each tap. But practice will increase the force of the tapping finger. its hard but do-able.

Sound_bender

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Valparaiso Indiana
I’m not sure how big your hands are, but one of thing I do for The Stage intro and many other tapping licks that involve string skipping is use my thumb to curl around the top of the neck and fretboard to lightly mute the lower strings. And as I’m using my left hand to hold the note (as I tap with my right hand) I lay my finger across the higher strings while I am tapping said notes. It reduces most all of the noise. Hope that helps!