• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What notation software do you use and why?

What notation software do you use and why?

• Total voters

Andrew Chung

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I'm curious to see what everyone uses and why.

I use, and for a long time have used, MuseScore because it's free and open-source and cross-platform. I've tried Sibelius and Guitar Pro, but I felt neither were worth sticking to.
  • Sibelius: I bought this while I was in high school for the education price, doing amateur orchestral arrangements for my peers. Great workflow—Sibelius keypad my beloved—and obviously very high quality output, but I'd misunderstood that I was paying for a subscription, not a one-time fee, so I never renewed
  • Guitar Pro (demo only): I found it confusing to use, standard notation seems to be a second-class citizen (rhythm and accidentals in GP are so hard to use), and I don't want to pay for a subscription again
Being a general notation program, MuseScore's guitar output isn't great, but it's getting better with time as users chime in, wanting better guitar output

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Personally, I use TuxGuitar, but have used others in the past here and there. I used MuseScore in college and just never got round to using it again, and with TuxGuitar I love the fretboard feature you can enable. I'm more of a visual learner and I'm doing a lot of tabbing work at the moment, so I find it helps me memorise shapes and patterns on the fretboard (especially since my theory isn't great atm.. Lol). Cool question!