• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Advice on gear upgrading

coco2ligne

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hey,
I actually own a Squier Jaguar, a litlle 10W Fender amp, and a multi effect pedal. I am playing for about 8 years and pay mostly rock/metal stuff.
I’d like to uprgrade my actual gear but i don’t know where to start. Should I go for a more “metal” guitar ( humbuckers …), a new amp, or a pedal board ( to build step by step, i won’t buy 10 pedal at the same time) first ? If pedals, what pedal to get first ?
Thanks for your answers

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
If it were me in your shoes I would likely start with a new guitar, then later, upgrade my amp. Depending on your MFX and how it works for you it may keep you happy as is, upgrading the other two may also really breathe some new life into the tones you get out of it too.
The only other thing I would suggest is don’t settle, if you try out some gear and really like a certain piece, get it, even if it means holding on to your old gear longer while you save the extra cash for it.

coco2ligne

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Thank you for your answer,
What should I focus on for a new guitar ? I mean what are the caracteristics on a guitar that are best for this style of playing (rock/metal) : Humbuckers, particular wood, bolt on/neck through, …

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
For my purpose which is moslty in my bedroom I tend to get mew guitars and pedals. For guitars I always focus on a combination of how it feels and it sounds. If it feels horrible when You play you wont really play it that much as to when it sounds bad you wont play either. For pedals I would start with the essentials like a good distortion/drive pedal, reverb, delay and tuner pedal and go from there

Zoltán Barna

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I played a lot on stages, I had the head and cabinet combo but now Im writing music in my bedroom. 🙂 If you are a bedroom player just as me, you should focus on the guitar. It need to be comfy for your hands and etc. I think for metal music the body needs to be alder or mahagony, I dont know wich sound would you prefer. The other thing is (which is the most important) that which brand is your favourite. 🙂
For metal music I think Schecter or Ibanez could be cool for you! 🙂

Synner Endless Summer Collection