• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Any Advice For My Bending Troubles?

Autumn

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portland, Oregon
    I’ve recently decided to try my hand at things like hammer-ons, pull-offs, and bending. However, I noticed that sometimes when I bend, the string I’m bending collides with the string above or below it (depending on which way I’m bending). This sometimes makes that open string ring out when I let the bent string go back down. Is there a good way to avoid this? Will it go away with practice?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Typically, when you bend, you’re bending up, so if you bend the B string, you’re having trouble with G ringing out after, right?
    Right hand muting. Just like you palm mute to play chugga chugga Metallica riffs, you can lay the fleshy part of that hand over any and all strings below the one you’re playing.
    It can take a LOT of work to get used to JUST DOING IT without thinking about it, but I GUARANTEE you, it is worth it.