• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Anyone else practice plain acoustic guitar?

J

Jak Angelescu

I started on acoustic. And I truly believe that it takes a real artist and musician to lose all that fluff, throw out a few basic chords and write an amazing song. Believe it or not, some of the most chart-topping and memorable, timeless songs were written with just like 4 or 5 chords repeated over and over. And they’re SIMPLE chords, too! I think it’s crucial to learn some stuff on acoustic and know how to play it because it really is vastly different than electric. I also love being able to just sit by a fireplace with my family and play a song we all can sing along to. All of my favorite guitarists can do something really well on an acoustic, albeit they’re not KNOWN for that skill. I remember I sat down with an acoustic and wrote one of my favorite songs I’ve ever written in less than a few hours. So many different things can come out with an acoustic 🙂
As far as your “slow groove” thing goes, I agree with the above comment. I am so rhythmically focused that when I write, most of my stuff comes out around 140BPMS or faster. I don’t know if that’s “slow” to you, but I do a lot of gallops, sixteenth-note rhythms and It’s very aggressive and fast. How well-versed are you with rhythm? I find that the more you know with all the ‘feels’ like triplets and stuff, the more you can do and next thing you know everything feels and sounds slow, lol. Also, if you’re right hand is not as well-trained as your left, EVERYTHING will be played slow, IMO 🙂

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Gabriel Milum

Garage band Groupie
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Eagan
    I write alot of slower songs because i enjoy it but i like tp throw in some faster stuff for fun. Im practicing rhythm right now. Trying to keep the low e going while i noodle over it. If i put a little gain my acoustic still sounds pretty cool.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    I play on acoustic because that’s all I have lol. Well, it’s an electro-acoustic guitar technically (my genius dad added a pickup on it back in the 70’s), but I don’t have an amp so whatever. But it’s good for studying classical, scales and chord progressions.
    Eventually going to buy a Jackson King V Corey Beaulieu custom model though. I need it for my metulz shreds.