• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Beginner Chord Question

Aightball

Garage band Groupie
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Iowa
    aightball.wordpress.com
    Whenever I come into the school for my lesson, I run through the chords I've learned so far and practice each one. Any tips for smoother transitions between chords? I start with Em and work through Em, G, E major, and Am...and I really clunk going from Em to Am (you'd think that'd be easy!). Other than practice, practice, practice, haha, any other tips to make chord changes easier?

Solution
    Something you can also do is just practice the fretting hand position swap without strumming. Let's say you just spend 5/10/15mins infront of the tv just practicing your hand movement from em to am, you'll fairly quickly stop thinking about where your fingers need to go and they'll just go there. This is a good approach for going between big chord shape changes, like G to D or D to C etc.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Could try to clap your guitar on the the 4th beat while changing the chords and then go back n forth between them till it's smoother.
    So the pattern is like up, down, up, clap+chord change, this with 4 quarter notes.
    The clap is like slapping the strings or guitar to fill time ( among other things ) while changing the chords

Upvote 0
    E (minor or major) really push the harmony hard into A (minor or major) as it could be considered as a 5th grade.
    It is hard to make this smoother, because it really wants to resolve on A, it depends how many beats you have to fill between the two, but you can use Aflat diminished, you can go chromatically from E to A upwards or downwards. It all depends on how many measures you have and what you are going to do with the lead voicing on it (voice or solo)

Upvote 0

juiceellish

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    There’s nothing more to it that practicing it. Key to it, however, is do it ✨sloooowww✨ Even at an advanced level, I practice new things, whatever they are - min/maj7b5 arpeggios, melodic minor modes, etc - slowly. The most important thing to develop on guitar is muscle memory. Develop it, don’t expect to have it already.

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Something you can also do is just practice the fretting hand position swap without strumming. Let's say you just spend 5/10/15mins infront of the tv just practicing your hand movement from em to am, you'll fairly quickly stop thinking about where your fingers need to go and they'll just go there. This is a good approach for going between big chord shape changes, like G to D or D to C etc.

Solution
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Aightball

Garage band Groupie
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Iowa
    aightball.wordpress.com
    That’s a good idea. I always think I can’t practice without strumming but just sitting and moving positions is a good idea!

Upvote 0