• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Best beginner guitar to buy?

Travis Roop

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I don’t have a whole lot of experience, but you definitely don’t need an expensive guitar. I bought an Epiphone SG 400 at a pawn shop for $180. Plays like a dream and is nearly flawless. I’m very impressed with Epiphone personally. Fender definitely isn’t bad either. Fender Squires are very affordable. I would recommend going to a pawn shop (guitar center can be expensive) and actually holding the guitars and playing them, even if you don’t know how to play. Feel is more important in my opinion. I prefer my guitar over my dads $800 Fender.

Billie M

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
my first guitar was a Hondo it’s a Japanese acoustic guitar. My dad found it in a garage sale for like 50$. Today on eBay the price of these guitars are between 65$ – 120$. They don’t have the best sound quality but the fretboard is perfect for beginner in my opinion. The neck isn’t to wide so it doesn’t hurt your hands too much especially when you learn how to do bar chords like F and B for instance.
Right now I have a Godin (Art & Lutherie – Dreadnought Spruce Burgundy) far more better than my Hondo! The sound is great I can do shows and play with friends with it, which I could never do with the Hondo since its sound would drown in every other instruments’. I highly recommend this guitar. When I bought it it was about 550$ which is a reasonable price for a good acoustic guitar.
But if you’re looking for an electric guitar, I heard that Epiphone guitars a good choice for beginner. They’re not too expensive either between 130-350$ depending on the guitar (they also have really expensive ones). I have no idea how they sound though… but you can always go on youtube check out for yourself.
When you buy a guitar, be sure you’re comfortable with it. I suggest that you go at you’re local music store and just try a bunch of guitars even if you don’t know how to play anything. Just to get an idea of what you want and don’t want.
DON’T get a first guitar that has a lot of space between the strings and the fretboard!!!! You want them to be the closest they can be. When you start to play guitar it already hurts your fingers like hell, the higher the strings are the more it will tire your fingers.

Idan Habler

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Are we talking about acoustics or electrics?
I know it’s a cliché but you should start on an acoustic and develop stamina and muscle strength, after that I’d advise you to get a Gibson studio deluxe (maybe second hand or something so it wouldn’t be so expensive) and if you want an amp pick up a nice Marshall or a Fender Bassbreaker

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Kevin Welton

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
I’d advise not going all out on a top range model for your first guitar, but i would still try to avoid cheap copies! Get a budget, Google reviews on decent mid range guitars which are within that budget, get a list of guitars that are getting good reviews and then head to your local guitar shop! Find out which ones they have in store and try them all out, find the one that feels best to you!

Ben Thorpe

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
My first and current guitar is a Yamaha Pacifica. Only £100 and is cnsidered to be one of the best guitars available for beginners. Very versatile and suitable for a wide variety of music styles, whatever your preference.