• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Buying second hand guitar

Chris Robertson

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Hey Guys,
So a question I have, I found a guitar second hand that is being sold on gumtree (if you dont know what that is, think similar to ebay etc). The guitar is half the price it is in the shops and I have been eyeing it for a long time and this is well within my price range and I really want a second guitar for dropped tunings.
What do you look out for when buying second hand guitars, it always feels to good to be true when such deals come along, like it feels there must be something wrong with it. I have checked the pictures and looks like its in mint condition and no scratches.

Chris Robertson

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Thanks Ids, You know my problem is I once bought a second hand PRS SE Santana long long time ago and while I played it at first it seemed great. Got it home and after a week something just didnt feel right. It felt like the G string wouldnt hold its tone (if thats the right word) properly. I could never seem to keep that string in tune throughout the fretboard and I did research and found with the bridges the PRS used that they sometimes have that issue and it cant be fixed. So I hope to avoid that. The guitar this time is an Epiphone Matt Heafy version with EMG pickups and I dont know much about epiphone.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Funny that you want Matt Heafy’s model, as I’m contemplating buying a second hand Corey Beaulieu model lol.
But my biggest gripe about used guitars is that they always come with either a damaged or a missing part. The edge of the V that I want to buy is pretty damaged, and I don’t really want my first legit electric guitar to look half-assed (still playing on acoustic).
So idk man. If everything’s okay with the guitar for pretty much 98%, I’d suggest buying it. But if you feel like you won’t be happy with it, save some more for the brand new one.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Chris Robertson

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Went looking around and think I found a guitar thats calling my name 😀
https://www.andertons.co.uk/prs-se-chris-robertson-signature-guitar-in-kentucky-blueburst-secrkbb
Never knew a dude with my name had a signature guitar. But as I said I bought a PRS before and had issues. Would it be worth chancing a new one?

Zoltán Barna

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hello there!
I owned only second hand guitars, but I had almost 20 guitars. I’m living in Hungary, and the second-hand market is very awesome here, so I don’t have negative exp. with it. As you read above, You should not buy the guitar without testing. 🙂